pool bids

Mar 24, 2016
GA
Hi!
My husband and I have recently decided to get a few estimates on an in-ground vinyl lined pool.
It's somewhat hard to find pool builders who will do vinyl in ATL. Most seem to only install $$$$ gunite beauties. We want basic...entry level pool.
We have a sloped back yard. Not steep but definite slope.
1st quote was 27k. 16x32 rectangle, diving depth NO mention of retaining wall.
2nd quote 37k 16x32 rectangle, diving depth with a large retaining wall
3rd quote 30k. 18x36 rectangle, diving depth. NO mention of retaining wall

My question is how do we know for sure if the retaining wall is needed and not just for aesthetics. I mean it would be beautiful...but is it necessary?? Don't want to skimp and save 7k only to have our pool falling downhill in the future. But if it's not needed that 7k could go towards college for the kids. All the builders have great reviews and reputations.

Any advice? Decision making time!
Kay Ray

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

How much slope is there? What is the elevation on the front side of the pool vs the back? If there is just a foot or two difference then it probably isn't a big deal. I think I would ask the other two builders how they plan to manage the slope.

On another note, if a short retaining wall is needed you might be better off with a gunite pool. My pool is out of the ground 18 inches or so on the backside and clad with flagstone. No retaining wall needed, it looks good and helps keep leaves from blowing into the pool after they are on the ground. There are pics in my build thread, link in sig.

Ultimately, it'll come down to budget and what you want. We were in a somewhat similar predicament, and had the choice of either digging to the lowest spot, or raising the rest of the pool to the highest point. We opted for the retaining wall because the pool builder advised doing the opposite may lead to problems down the road when the dirt settles - the concrete on top may crack or become unstable.
In the end, it's your choice, and we're ALL on a budget of some kind. We opted for the retaining wall, but that doesn't mean it's the best decision for everyone. Below is a picture of what we had done, and in MO, it ran us $4,090. That sounds like a lot, but my back doesn't hurt one bit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.