Rough start to the season

Jul 27, 2008
Last year I was a newbie and managed to have pretty clear water all season. This year I knew I was in for a challenge because we did not have a cover and probably had an inch or 2 of leaves on the bottom of the deep end. I started the season by filling the pool to correct height and starting the filter up. I kept SWG off and let the filter work as I vacuumed and scooped leaves for a few days. I tested water with leftover strips from last year (i know, i know...) because I did not have a test kit. It showed high ph and prettly low CYA. I spent a day getting ph right and then added 2 4lb bottles of stabilizer trying to get my CYA up to around 60-70.

I had the local pool guys come out, mainly to aid in manual labor of raking up leaves because they said they had a better tool for the job. My wife called me alarmed because they said they tested my pool and CYA was through the roof > 100. Next day (last saturday) I took a sample to a different pool store and they did a test on my water (with test strips) that showed my CYA was fine ~60, ph was 7.5. I immediately ordered a TF100 kit because I did not know what was going on. Monday, I a took another sample into the first pool company and the owner tested with a Taylor2005 kit in front of me and it showed CYA around 100, so I went home and decided to await my test kit expecting to have to drain and dilute. In the meantime, they come out again to "clean" my pool and after barely doing anything I find out they tested an said my TA was low so they added something to raise. The TF100 kit came in yesterday and I tested:

FC = 0ppm
CC = .5ppm
ph = 7.5
TA = 200
CYA = 65
CH = did not test - vinyl

I felt better about the CYA but still confused on what exactly is going on and pretty ticked about the TA - which Im pretty sure was just a little low before they added something. I added 6 174oz jugs of 6% bleach to shock. This morning FC was at 17ppm so I add 2 more bottles of 6% bleach to try and get in the 24 range for CYA=65. I also turned on the SWG in superchlorinate for the
first time.

This evening I tested and results are:
FC = 14ppm
CC = 1 ppm
CYA = 65-70
CH = 180
ph = 7.5
TA = 200

I have 2 problems. First of all the entire top layer of the pool has developed a soapy-like foam the more bleach I add. (using walmart brand 6%)
Second, I believe the pool company screwed up and increased my TA way too high. I am continuing to vacuum and backwash.
Any advice would be appreciated.

-paul

I have 2 problems. First of all the entire top layer of the pool has developed a soapy-like foam the more bleach I add. (using walmart brand 6%)
Second, I believe the pool company screwed up and increased my TA way too high. I am continuing to vacuum and backwash.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, Paul. Welcome to the forum. Here's my primary thought as I read thru your post. GET RID OF THE POOL COMPANY! :lol: They are doing bogus testing and they are screwing you up and keeping you from maintainnig your own pool in an accurate manner.

The most common cause of foaming when you add a big dose of chlorine is the prior use of agaecide. Have you used it?

Yes, your TA is too high but I would suggest you get your pool clean and crystal clear and then work on loweing the TA.

How does your water look right now? (Well, you can wait 'til daylight :lol: :lol: )

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :wave:

Congrats on the TF100 test kit. Now you are in control of your pool!

Using the superchlorinate on your SWG can shorten the cell life. Better to use liquid chlorine/bleach to shock.

Go ahead and test the CH later when you have time. Anywhere around 50 to 300 is okay.

Remember we like pix :mrgreen:

I believe the previous owners may have used algicide but we pretty much drained the pool at the beginning of last season and never saw any foam. I did not put algicide in this season or last (although the same pool company recommended i do so now). I only hired them to help out on the manual labor side becaure I thought they would do a better/more efficient job at cleaning the leaf packed bottom of my pool. I did not use them to maintain the pool last year and did not intend to use them this year. The problem is that I got totally screwed up by their tests. When they came by today, we told them I had it under control and no need to come back.
They said the foam was becuase I put too much algicide in the pool....ahhhhh.

I have attached some pictures. Its dark so I may take more in the day.
The water is a light green color and cloudy. By yestreday it had cleared enough to
see the entire shallow end bottom but I still can not make out the deep end (it may still
have more leaves and dirt)

What about shock level? Do I need to go higher than 14ppm? I have probably used about 20 jugs of this bleach in the last 2 weeks trying to shock the green out of the pool..

Attachments

• DSC04888.JPG
    DSC04888.JPG
    213.3 KB · Views: 447
It sounds like you are comfortable with the CYA results of 65. Based on that, I think I would maintain the FC up around 20ppm....it should help clear your pool a little quicker.

As soon as you can see, getting the leaves and dirt out will also help clear your pool more quickly.

I virtually 100% certain they put algaecide in your pool. Either that or you had a Baquacil pool... :shock:

Read about shocking your pool and defeating algae in pool school....

You've gotten great advice from our members thus far, once your water is clear you can work on lowering the TA (also in Pool School. I hope you fired the pool service... :wink:

You didn't post a salt level.....

WoW! :shock: I've never seen so many bubbles in a pool!

I know when I used to use algaecide, we'd get bubbles from the kids jumping and splashing and I hated that but now I know it's totally unnessisary to use it so I don't.

Gee, they must have dumped a truck load in.

Every time I added bleach over past 2 weeks the foam starts to forms. Last weekend it had completely
cleared as I was not adding bleach because I was waiting for the test kit to figure out what direction to go.
It seems like the foam clears as the chlorine levels go down. The previous owners did have some baquacil
bottles, but last season the pool was almost completely drained and refilled. I did not put any algecide in all season.
I had a cracked lateral line in the middle of the season last year which I fixed and replaced all the filter sand.
I will ask again if the pool company put algecide but I believe the answer is no.

Last night I added 2 more jugs to get the FC up to 20ppm, but i got tired and forgot to test.
This morning I have FC at 21ppm and still alot of foam.

-paul

Attachments

• DSC04891.JPG
    DSC04891.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 367
The foam cleared up after about 2 days. I have been trying to keep FC>20ppm and the water has cleared up a bit, still a bit cloudy with a tinge of green. (I can finally make out the bottom drain in the deep end). I vacuumed, brushed, and backwashed today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the update! When your FC is holding overnight, if you are still having cloudiness, you can try adding DE to the filter for better clarity, but wait till the FC holds. Sand filters can take awhile to clear up post-algae cloudy water, the DE helps a bit. :wink:

Thanks. The water seems to be clearing up SLOWLY. Tonight I could start to make out the liner pattern in the deep end. I just added some more bleach and will run a chlorine test in a little while to compare against in the morning. I will try some DE as soon as I have a completely dirt free pool (i am still seeing some accumulation/settling after vacuuming).

I thought I would post a little follow up. After a thorough shocking, lots of vacuuming, brushing, and running the robot, the pool is now open and looking pretty good so far.

Thank you to all for the help.

Attachments

• DSC05018small.jpg
    DSC05018small.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC05019small.jpg
    DSC05019small.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 110
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.