Liquid Chlorine

Jan 21, 2014
Bartlesville, OK
Hi not sure if this is the best place to place this on, but thought I'd let you know that I found liquid chlorine at Walmart for fairly cheap. One gallon with 10% chlorine in it is $2.50. Less then a gallon of Walmart brand bleach with 8.25% chlorine is $2.95. Just thought I'd let you all know. I've always ever used bleach before. Always figured the liquid chlorine was a lot more money, so maybe this is normal?
Mike

The only thing that might seem to good to be true it the strength of the chlorine. You might look for the Julian date on the bottle to confirm. If you don't see it, then it might be tough to know how old it is or how it was stored (i.e. in the heat). That may be why it was on sale. You'll know once you add it to the water. If your FC doesn't rise as you expected, you know the bleach got weak. Higher % bleaches will do that. But that is a good price. :)

FWIW, I've had good luck so far this year with the WalMart 10% chlorinating liquid. I just checked the date code on the last few bottles I bought, it was 16 063, so less than a month old. The FC increase has matched PoolMath when I've tested it.

Liquid Chlorine is pretty hard to find around here, this is the first season I've seen WalMart carry the chlorinating liquid, so I'm pretty happy. When I first started seeing it, I think it was $3.64/gal. At that price, it's effectively the same cost as the 8.25% Great Value bleach, but fewer bottles to deal with. Now that they dropped the price to $2.50/gal, I'm even happier.

Russ

I was at the Walmart in Brenham, TX yesterday and they have the 10% at $2.50. It was showing as a price rollback. I was able to get them to give it to me in the shipped cartons (three to a box) instead of individual bottles. Good stuff. They didn't know how long it would be at this price.

That is the same price we are getting here in OK at atwoods it says "pool shock" 10% on the label.. it is awesome and about July it goes on sale for 4 gallons at 8 dollars :)

it all depends on where you store it, heat and sun takes the strength down.. so a seller would be a great place or something like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Year around you can get 4 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine from Pinch a Penny in the $9 to $10 range. That is the only thing I buy at Pinch a Penny and it is always fresh. Plus less annoying having to deal with all those empty bleach bottles. But I suppose it could be worth it for some to save that extra $1 or so. For me, Walmart is out of the way and Pinch a Penny is right down the street from my house.

FWIW, I've had good luck so far this year with the WalMart 10% chlorinating liquid. I just checked the date code on the last few bottles I bought, it was 16 063, so less than a month old. The FC increase has matched PoolMath when I've tested it.

Russ
Thanks for the tip. I'm Just getting my first pool and haven't even looked for liquid chlorine yet, so I have a couple of questions...
1) where is this located in Walmart, is it in the laundry supply section or maybe a pool supply area?
2) how do you read that date on the bottle? Is it the 63rd day of 2016? Or maybe something else?

Mamiamjo,

I don't know how far this is for you, but Napco on Spring Cypress rd near 2920 has bulk 10+% liquid chlorine at $1.68 / gal. I bought 2 x 7 gal Aqua Tainers off Amazon. You have to have a container with a decent sized opening, but they fill you up right there. I keep 2 single gallon bleach bottles and fill them from the Aqua Tainer and use that to dispense to the pool. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip. I'm Just getting my first pool and haven't even looked for liquid chlorine yet, so I have a couple of questions...
1) where is this located in Walmart, is it in the laundry supply section or maybe a pool supply area?
2) how do you read that date on the bottle? Is it the 63rd day of 2016? Or maybe something else?

At my local WalMart, I first found it in the pool supply section, then when it went on "Rollback" for $2.50 they had a couple of pallets of it right inside the entrance.

Yes, 16 063 would be the 63rd day of 2016. Bleach is typically date coded the same way, I always try to get the latest date.

Russ

Mamiamjo,

I don't know how far this is for you, but Napco on Spring Cypress rd near 2920 has bulk 10+% liquid chlorine at $1.68 / gal. I bought 2 x 7 gal Aqua Tainers off Amazon. You have to have a container with a decent sized opening, but they fill you up right there. I keep 2 single gallon bleach bottles and fill them from the Aqua Tainer and use that to dispense to the pool. Hope that helps.
Thanks for tip, I will look up Napco. That area is only about 15-20 minutes from me

- - - Updated - - -

At my local WalMart, I first found it in the pool supply section, then when it went on "Rollback" for $2.50 they had a couple of pallets of it right inside the entrance.

Yes, 16 063 would be the 63rd day of 2016. Bleach is typically date coded the same way, I always try to get the latest date.

Russ

Appreciate the help, thanks

How old is too old? I'd think bleach made within the last 2 months isn't too old if it wasn't sitting in the sun. That being said, you can't know that bleach from 2 weeks ago didn't spend a week sitting in direct, hot sunlight. So throwing that out--is two months really too long?

It's technically never too long to use the bleach, but it's strength decreases over time so you're getting less value for your money. It may also throw off your dosing calculations. I have a couple jugs of bleach purchased at 12.5% last fall. It's a much lower strength by now, but I'll still use it for my spa, my laundry and perhaps in the pool (if I EVER get to open this year!). I'm just not getting great value for it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.