Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good Morning TFP,

I have a mesh safety cover that I notice has some bright green algae on it. The cover has been laying on the surface of the water much of the winter season. I use a company to close my pool - as I am not brave enough yet to attempt it on my own. Their requirement for closing is that the water level be mid-skimmer. I have drained some water off during the winter months but it still dips down onto the water. ( The previous owner had purchased this cover and did not allow for the fountain along one side of the pool, so three of the straps on that side are not attached to anything)

This year, I have chosen to open my pool myself (which will mean another thread of its own, as I may need some help with that :roll eyes: )

My question is, what can I do to clean the mesh cover? Is there anything that I can do BEFORE removing the cover to cut down on the algae? And once it IS removed how do I get that off? As it stands, my water IN the pool still looks great - I can see the main drain clearly at the bottom of my 9 foot deep end. I plan on opening 4/15 so that I have that night and the next three days to dedicate to getting it balanced.

Any and all help would be appreciated!!

I'd take the FC up to shock level and submerge the cover in the pool to soak for a couple days to kill the algae. You have visible algae, so you do need to SLAM anyway. Part of a SLAM is to toss in pool tools and toys that may hold algae spores, and a cover qualifies.

Defer to Richard first, but I would suggest taking the cover off and laying it out in the yard to dry out and kill the algae. Then spray or pressure wash it off before storing it away for the season, obviously after it has dried back out. Algae grows faster on the cover as the mesh stays moist and is exposed to the warm air of spring. Whereas the temp. of the pool water takes much longer to warm up and be a "nice" place for the algae to grow.

Unlike closing a pool it is really, really hard to mess anything up opening a pool IMO. Worst case is you forget a plug or two and you spray water and have to shut down to install it. If you have a heater, there may be a small line to a pressure switch to be hooked up but again you'll see leakage before any damage occurs. Just be sure that you have removed all plugs in the suction and return lines, open valves and fill the pump basket with water and you are good to go. While waiting to 4/15 may be optimal, your pool temperature should dictate when to open the pool. If your water is that clear, you will have it balanced quickly.

Good luck.

Thank you Richard. So just leave the cover on and resting on the water as is when I start up the pump etc on 4/15? Should I leave the cover like that until SLAM is complete and I have the required OCLT readings?

Make sure you have a plan to get the cover out. I know even when a small portion of mine gets underwater it is heavy as can be. Then to drag it out with all the springs and a vinyl liner would make me nervous. That algae will die once it dries out, adding the cover to the slam will just extend the slam IMO. No doubt you should slam the pool, but that might only be a few days sans the cover.

You aren't going to be using the cover again until next close right?

Make sure you have a plan to get the cover out. I know even when a small portion of mine gets underwater it is heavy as can be. Then to drag it out with all the springs and a vinyl liner would make me nervous. That algae will die once it dries out, adding the cover to the slam will just extend the slam IMO. No doubt you should slam the pool, but that might only be a few days sans the cover.

You aren't going to be using the cover again until next close right?

I don't have a 'plan' per se … other than pull? I have never removed the cover myself before. I will have the help of my two teenagers and a male friend.

I will not use the cover again until next close …

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.