Pump humming noise issue. Also, is this a capacitor?

May 23, 2013
Hello everyone, so i just opened my pool after two year, everything seem ok except that my pump is not working. It makes humming noise which indicate the capacitor may has gone bad whose idea i got from another topic. So i opened the back cover of the pump and found this, could somebody please verify if this is a capacitor? Also, could you kindly link me to a replacement compatible one ? Thank you alot.
3b7fa69565e7bba634793c243a90bd54.jpg
547750c7697510be1fec7be7e284efda.jpg
a8bfaf96443a834a5f26dea696252ba3.jpg
7f2cc84b0b5f2b14a2e770076ae63b7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is indeed a cap. A local electrical supply house should have one in stock. Did you verify that the motor was free to turn? See if the shaft/impeller moves without any resistance. Also, be careful with those caps. They are an energy storage device and it you touch the terminals without first discharging it, you will get whacked pretty good. To discharge one, use a plastic handled screwdriver and short between the two terminals for a couple of seconds.

thank for the tip about discharging the capacitor. I tried to look for the shaft/impeller inside the strainer basket but i couldnt feel/see anything. Also, what numbers on the capacitor should i look for to fine one that compatible?

So i bought a new cap at my local store and replaced the old one. But it still making that humming noise and not working at all :( not sure what i did wrong? I did however discharged both the new and old capacitors before installing. Please advise. Thank you

Well, i went ahead and opened the dry part of the pump to try to turn what i believed is the impeller but it doesnt move not even a little bit. Please advise

4aab907f143f4cad606db5a1e59436fa.jpg

6d5e5bf7e6dda6fc5dbeceb1fb08150a.jpg

I am not a pump guy but it sounds like it is seized...

I would replace but that is because I have no idea how to fix it, some on here would fix that in a heartbeat :) both ways will work...

Thank you for ur reply. So i removed the impeller and tried to turn the shaft. I tried to turn it at by using a big screw driver after removed the back cover but it doesnt move. At this point, i think i done everything i could, im just better off getting a replacement. Thank you all
be8792eff6f0d6c1722d2c61f2fadde7.jpg

Yeah, it looks like it is time for at least a new pump motor, you can replace it with a 2 speed if you have 240V going to the pad. You would just need to add a switch to change speeds. If you want to go to a variable speed pump it is probably best to change out the whole thing, although they do make variable speed motors you could drop in.

Ike

p.s. if you do decide to replace the motor, you may want to look at Pool Plaza to see what fits what, they may not have the best prices, but do have a helpful web page. Best motor prices I have found tends to be on ebay, but you have to generally know the exact model number motor you are looking for to buy there. I think the Hayward Superpump uses a frame 56J, but don't hold me to that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just a reminder. Most of the time if you take a Hammer when you turn on the pump.If it doesn't turn and just humm's .Just take the hammer and tap on motor housing. Alot of the times it will break it loose and will start running.Also,I have found if you will spray WD-40 up into the shaft housing works wonders too.Just my 2 cents that have worked for me over the years.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Whatever you do to repair or buy a new motor you should also change the seals in the pump. They're available pool stores online and your local Pool Pool Store. The pump seal you have almost certainly was the cause of your motor failure.

I hope this helps,

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.