Installer Cut New Liner

Apr 1, 2016
Greer
New member to the forum here. While cutting the vinyl to the pool steps my contractor's helper sliced approx. 2" too far on the bottom right corner of the step entrance. Appears there is a 3 piece faceplate that is screwed in which I assume serves as a seal. There is a slight gap between the horizontal and vertical pieces...it is there he cut too far as he was cutting the bottom of the vinyl off.
My contractor patched it and offered to buy a new liner. But he said it will never leak and is going to credit me $1000.00. So, my question is obvious...given where the leak is can he reasonably assure it wouldn't leak? Personally I don't know how it could not leak because I surmise that the vinyl between the very small gap where the bottom and top faceplates come together is now compromised...he patched it with the faceplate still attached and the patch butted against the faceplate.
One other thing...as we filled the pool he had to go back over numerous places where the liner was being pulled out of the groove at the top just above the waterline. Is that normal? He used a heating gun to stretch the liner. Even now he has to come back and fix a few more spots.
Just wanted some thoughts from members here. Thanks.

Welcome to TFP. Personally, I've boogered a brand new liner near my skimmer and I have successfully patched it with no leaks. It was a huge disappointment on my part. I do however have the patch under the face plate. I would keep an eye on the water level and if it drops once full, I'd let them know you will need a new liner. If it doesn't leak, take the credit. Now, some people will be like, brand new liner better not be messed up n others may be fine with it because truth is, you can't see it unless you're under water n looking at it. Me? I'd opt for a new liner because it's their boo boo and i just dropped thousands on a new pool ya know?!

As for them using a heat gun to get stretch on the liner... sounds pretty normal. As long as it's not pulling out of the track once the pool is ful, it all comes down to tricks of the trade to get a nice n tight fit into place. Liners need nice hot, sunny days to give it elasticity to stretch into place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.