Is this Normal?

I was having the same problem at the beginning of this summer. My free chlorine was losing about 1ppm overnight, but since I live in the woods I considered it ok. I kept my chlorine level at the high side of shock levels for my cya. I don't normally use algaecide, so I just kept the chlorine high but my water continued to be slightly murky - I could see the bottom, but the water was not that "crystal sparkly look" . I decided to add algaecide 60 polyquat, and the water cleared up overnight. Even though I had no combined chlorine, and kept the pool at shock level, there must have been something going on. I have no real answer for why this worked, but it may be something for you to try. I was thinking it may be my filter too, so I know where your head is :) The polyquat may be the cheapest thing to try first :goodjob: Keep us posted

Just another thought -You didn't post your cya number - If you cya is too high, your chlorine level may not be truely high enough to kill all of the algae, therefore the algae will keep growing, just not fast enough for the water to turn green.

Yes, the next thing to try is clarifier. There can indeed be extremely small particles that cause cloudiness. It is rather rare to get enough of them in the water to cause a problem, especially when your CSI is negative, but it is possible.

Will do both. I will bring up to 20FC tonight and put in some clarifier in the morning.

mbar.....I wonder if the algaecide you added kinda acted like a clarifier as far as bonding things so the water cleared. Just a thought....

I will report back after 48 hours after the shock/clarifier. This will be 6 turns of the water by then.

Well for those reading this thread and trying to help I have some updates. It seems all three of the things I did helped, I can just now start to see the main drain (8' down).

1. Algaecide was added. I had these "pockets" going down the steep incline my pool has to the deep end that constantly had a dark haze section to them. Upon adding algaecide those pockets went away. Even though I had done 5 shocks with no real need the algaecide seemed to reach them.

2. Clarifier - this helped alot with clearing it up. Took POP over a week of adding several cups a day so it would have time to work.

3. Filters on the returns. Don't know to what extent but these 1 micron units seem to have caught quite a bit of stuff my sand filter was missing.

I had no magic bullet but it seems the combination of the three fixed my problem (well I'm 80% there).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.