Bearings Bad, New Pump? 2hp too much?

Aug 14, 2014
Bonita Springs
Hi All,

I believe my pump is the original pump from 1990. It We bought the house about 3 years ago. About a year into our ownership, the motor would squeal when started then quiet down. I probably should have replaced the bearings then. Fast forward to now, it constantly squeals and has an unsettling metal on metal noise. I'm no pro, but I think I need a new motor.

My questions are as follows:

- should I replace the motor and the pump?
- the current motor is a 2hp. Is that too powerful for my setup(in sig)? I do have a spa with waterfall, but no heater. There are two drains (I can't say that the drain in the spa
is actively pulling water as the water spills over into the pool), one skimmer, four returns. When I
read about the formula to determine what hp motor, it talked about pvc size and distance. I'm almost certain the PVC is 2". The the pump is about 20' from the pool. The
furthest return, skimmer and drain is about 45' away.
- where is the best place to buy pumps and motors? Is Home Depot any good?

You can see my setup in this thread:

Impeller Keeps Breaking

Thanks in advance for everyone's help with this.

In-ground
6500 gallon
Spa with waterfall - no heater
Pentair Sta-Rite MPRA6G-155L 2 hp
Posi-Clear PXC-150 Filter

Does this pump run the spa as well? If so, you will want to keep this size pump or your jets will get noticeably weaker.

However, you can benefit some by replacing the single speed motor with a two speed motor. If you are handy, you can do this yourself.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it does run the spa as well.

I feel confident that I can install a new pump. Can you offer any guidance about brands and models of two speed motors and the best vendor? Are they universally sized? Will any motor fit onto my pump? With a 2 speed motor, at what point would you use the low setting, and what impact would it have on operation?

Thanks again for your help!

You need the specific motor frame that will fit your pump and it should be on the motor label. I believe your is a 48Y frame but double check on the label. A picture of the motor label would help.

Here is the label on my pump:

http://s829.photobucket.com/user/Jahganjika/media/4518C8C3-9C62-45AF-8087-5215ABBEBC14.jpg.html]
4518C8C3-9C62-45AF-8087-5215ABBEBC14.jpg
[/URL

- - - Updated - - -

Motor, I mean.

Ok, I found the motor frame. It looks like 48Y was correct.

I'm looking a 2 A.O. Smith motors. The single speed is $239, and the 2 speed is $382. Is it really worth the investment to get a 2 speed motor? When on the low setting, will the returns just pump less forcefully, and will the spa waterfall still flow?

Thanks!

It is worth it, on low it will move 1/2 as much water, but consume 1/4 electricity so the saving will probably pay for itself in the first year.

Ike

p.s. we could give better advice if we knew where Bonita Springs is

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.