Hoping to get a pool in the next few months!

jg210302

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Huntington Beach CA
I joined to try and get a bunch of knowledge and learn from others mistakes before I jump in head first myself.
The plan is a geometric pool to match our lot and house lines. So far the requirements are large baja / tanning shelf, spa, and raised bond beam along the back wall for a planter...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeremy

Re: Hoping to get a pool in the next few months...

Hi Jeremy and thanks for posting. For your situation, it would be good if you could outline some of your basic "wants" or "needs" for the pool. Maybe post a pic of your proposed pool. Include your estimated pool size (dimensions and gallons). If you go as far as getting quotes from different builders, post the listings of each quote showing the equipment. We will be glad to give our feedback. Great to have you with us.

Due to the nature of this post, don't' be surprised if it gets moved over to the "Under Construction" forum area. No worries, You'll still be able to follow it there. :)

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

If you want a pool in a few months, you should have started a few months ago! :p Kidding but also not. Have patience, don't rush and be sure to get what you want, not what you can get quickly.

Consider carefully what you want the pool FOR. How are you going to use it? Kids? Laps? Sunbathing? Parties? That should drive what features and dimensions you want for your pool.

There are MANY build threads on this forum and I would highly suggest reading as many as you can.

On the equipment side here's my thoughts. Steer clear of any sanitation system that involves a tablet feeder, ozone or UV. They are not worth the money, not effective or will cause problems... or all of the above. If anything, go with a SWG (salt water chlorine generator) Go with a two-speed pump or a variable speed pump. Saves a lot of cost on electricity bills and gives you flexibility with your plumbing. Go with larger diameter PVC plumbing. 2" throughout would be great. Less head loss (back pressure) on your plumbing system, leading to better circulation and efficiency. Get high quality Jandy Neverlube valves as part of the installation. They are durable and can be repaired without cutting your PVC in most cases.

Spend some time looking at threads in the Under Construction part of the forum will go a long way.

Thanks guys, I actually started this process a few months ago and have been learning a ton on here and from builders already!
The pool will mostly be used for crazy kids to play in, we have three 11, 13, and 15, along with our two golden retrievers. We want a deep end for them to be able to dive, and I want a big tanning ledge for lounging. I also want to make sure the spa is big enough for all of us...

I have been looking at so many threads in the under construction section that I had to start taking notes to keep them straight! The builder I am going to use is recommending all Pentair equipment...

Let me know if these price seem inline please...

Here is where I am at so far:
POOL INCLUDES, SKIMMER, 2.5” PVC SCH 40 SUCTION, 2”PVC SCH 40 RETURNS, AUTOMATIC POOL CLEANER SUCTION LINE, AUTOMATIC POOL FILL, 1.5 “ P.E GAS LINE, 6 JETS IN SPA, FORM AND EXCAVATION, STEEL TO MEET OR EXCEED MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS PER ENGINEER DETAILS,MINIMUM 3500 PSI SHOTCRETE/GUNITE TO MEET OR EXCEED ENGINEER DETAILS, POUR IN PLACE COPING, WHITE PLASTER FINISH , PENTAIR VARIABLE SPEED PUMP, PENTAIR MASTER TEMP 400K HEATER , PENTAIR CLEAN AND CLEAR FILTER 520 SQ FT, 1 POOL LIGHT, 1 SPA LIGHT $36,300.00

I am going to do a bunch of upgrades beyond that also:
OPTIONS: PART A ( NOT INCLUDED IN POOL TOTAL )
1 – POOL DECK AND BACKYARD DECK 850 SQ FT ( ALL CONCRETE #3 REBAR 24” O.C. 4,600.00
2 – SIDE YARD CONCRETE 396 SQ FT 2,000.00
3 – DECK DRAINS ESTIMATE 100 LIN FT 1,000.00

OPTIONS: PART B ( NOT INCLUDED IN POOL TOTAL )
1 – UPGRADE FROM PLASTER TO PEBBLE FINISH 3,000.00
2 – REMOTE CONTROL SYSTEM W SUB PANEL AND SALT SYSTEM 2,800.00
3 – UPGRADE FROM STD WHITE LIGHTS TO MULTI COLOR LED LIGHTS 700.00

OPTIONS: PART C ( NOT INCLUDED IN POOL TOTAL ALSO YOU DIDN’T SAY YOU WANTED BUT FIGURE I WOULD GIVE COSTS )
1 – FIRE PIT RAISED 12” COPING TO MATCH POOL 1,000.00

NOTE : ITEMS NOT INCLUDED IN CONTRACT PRICE
A) RELOCATING TREES/PLANTS AS NEEDED FOR POOL CONSTRUCTION ( DOES NOT APPLY )
B) GATES AND/OR DOOR ALARMS AS NEEDED FOR CITY INSPECTIONS BEFORE PRE PLASTER INSPECTION
C) ANY UNDERGROUND UNFORESEEN ISSUES IN POOL AREA ( UTILITY LINES, OLD SEPTIC SYSTEMS, LARGE ROCKS ETC…)
D) PERMIT FEE, TO BE CHARGED AT ACTUAL COST FROM CITY

You HAVE been busy. :) Something readers may want to know since I believe your pool will geometric in shape:
- What are the dimensions of the pool? Standard rectangle or something else? It will drive water circulation questions.
- The first question will impact number of skimmers, and recommended number (and placement) of return jets. As for you know from TFP, we emphasize good water circulation to help prevent water stagnation issues later
- I love our LED lights. Just sayin' ..... :)
I'm sure I'm missing something. Others will reply too.

The pool will be primarily rectangular... The quotes above were for a 15' X 31' with a 7' X 7' spa... Here are some early sketches. My thoughts now are to move the pool and spa more to the right and have a full width shelf with the spa barely over hanging the shelf. Then moving the fire pit to the left side against the wall. The kitchen and dining room will then overlook everything but the deep end.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Welcome to TFP. Your thread would fit nicely in the Construction forum once you get going.

Price seems inline, slightly more than we payed but we got winter pricing and are in central CA so I think that would explain it. If you plan on being in the house for 15 or more years I would go with the pebble or some flavor of quartz, the longevity will save you 3 to 5K over and above the extra cots. +1 on the LED lights i would go with at least 2 changing the color at night is like getting a new pool. Suction line can be useful for vacuuming but you may want to look at a robot for a cleaner. We have an umbrella sleeve in our Baja shelf and love it. Try to think down the road on things like landscape lights, speakers, irrigation even if you don't plan on it now PVC is cheep and it will never be easier to install, put the conduits in and it will make those future projects go much smoother. Figuring out the volume of water on a geometric design is much simpler than a free form but a large shelf can tend to skew the numbers quite a bit, so if you have a city water meter take a reading before and after the fill you will get a much more accurate reading that way and it will in turn make chemical calculation more accurate. Take lots of pictures of the process not only is it fun, it can save you some headache. We had a city inspector that didn't sign off on a bonding correction even though he did see it corrected (just for got to initial the tag when he did the re-inspection) but I had pictures and video of them doing decking and luckily the clamp he was looking for was in one of the photos.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So nice to see you here! (haha since I am the one that moved you!) Your pool looks awesome for what you want! Those kids are going to LOVE having a pool AND you will love how tired they are and how willing they will be to go to bed after a day of fun in it!

The only thing I see you might want to think about is the placement of the light in the deep end. If/when someone wants to swim laps or such at night they will be swimming into the light AND people sitting in the spa will have it right in their eyes when they look that way. I would move it to the house side but still in the deep end. I would also think about a small light on the ledge (again on the house side).

Please share a picture of the real area the pool will be going in. THAT will tell us a lot about what you are working with.

Kim

Here are some pictures of the blank slate we are working with, again any input will be greatly appreciated! All of the concrete will be removed that is in the pictures...

Attachments

• From Back Slider.jpg
    From Back Slider.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Above.jpg
    Above.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,048
I don't believe with ~20ft(first drawing) of usable swimming space you'll have enough room for a deep end for diving unless you have a sharp slope or make the shallow end ~4.5ft off of the baja ledge.

This is about what you'll need to get 8' deep end with your arrangement.

Icon-Fiberglass-Pool-Line-Drawing-from-Signature-Pools-and-Leisure-Pools.jpg

bradj,

You bring up a very good question! How long does the main body of the pool need to be to get the depths where they need to be? Is there a rule of thumb for slope?
What depths would you guys suggest?
Baja / tanning shelf 12" - 16", are they normally flat or do they change in depth also?
Shallow end 4'?
Deep 8'?

Shallow end, most pools are 3.5 to 4 foot wall height. This means 3 to 3.5 feet water depth approximately. Deep end is going to vary a lot by pool. My pool is nearly 10' wall depth in the deep end center (about 9+ foot water depth), some pools may have 9' or 8' or 7' or even only 6' in the deep end for an "athletic" pool style that has the deepest part in the middle. Diving depth = the deeper the better. 8 foot water depth minimum imo, closer to 10 is even better. Many states have guidelines on this, commonly is 8' minimum depth for diving. If you go less than 8' WATER depth, no diving.

From my clouded memory... slope shouldn't be more than 1 foot of drop per 3 feet of travel in deep areas, even less slope in shallow areas. There may be state or local guidelines that you can reference on bottom slope.

Tanning shelf I don't have much experience with, I would think you could go with a level tanning shelf or one that slightly tapers to your preference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.