1.5 HP or 2 HP pool pump? 27000 gal pool

jeanft

Mar 17, 2016
Houston
Need to change this cheap pump made in China which brought pressure in filter from 10 to 5 . Not a lot coming out of jets.
The pipes are 2" wide reduced to 1.5" for fitting on pump. The 1.5 HP original Hayward pump used to run for 8h to 10h in summer. Would a 2 HP pump make a difference ? What about these 2 speed pumps?
Thanks
JFT

A few questions, about what will be expected of this pump. Do you have just a simple pool? What kind of filter? Do you have an attached spa, any water features, infloor cleaning, solar heating? How do you clean the pool, robot, suction side or pressure side cleaner, booster pump? As you can see, which pump is best is not a simple question.

A few questions, about what will be expected of this pump. Do you have just a simple pool? What kind of filter? Do you have an attached spa, any water features, infloor cleaning, solar heating? How do you clean the pool, robot, suction side or pressure side cleaner, booster pump? As you can see, which pump is best is not a simple question.

-It's a simple pool with a 60sq ft DE filter, (to be replaced by a sand filter), Polaris 280 using its own booster pump.
-I contacted two local guys working on pumps who told me it was not worth fixing it ( motor/labor)

What Jason is referring to is not repairing the motor, but only replacing the dry end part of the pump (the motor), keeping the wet end (pump basket side). Your cheapest option while giving you flexibility and efficiency would be a 2-speed replacement motor. A variable speed is nice, but unless you have high electrical rates, the pay off time on the investment is longer.

EDIT:

1.5 HP is plenty for your pool imo.

Post a picture of your old pump and maybe we can make that judgement.

Need to change this cheap pump made in China which brought pressure in filter from 10 to 5 . Not a lot coming out of jets.
That is actually a good thing. Lower pressure means lower flow rates, better filtering and lower energy costs. This is how a VS or two speed pump saves you money.

Besides lower pressure and lower flow rate, is the pump not doing something specifically?

I think we should at least see this

cheap pump made in China

Before suggesting that it be repaired. Can you post a pic of it?

- - - Updated - - -

Lower pressure means lower flow rates, better filtering and lower energy costs.

I wouldn't count on any energy savings with a product from china, but you never know...

I agree though, we need to see this thing to give responsible advice.

Thank you for the answers. This pump is working fine, very quiet and electricity bill doesn't seem as high compared to the Hayward pump. Should the pump run longer every day since less pressure?
The old Hayward pump is gone ((

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wouldn't count on any energy savings with a product from china, but you never know...
You would be hard pressed to find motors and electronics that aren't manufactured in China these days. But that has little to do with efficiency anyway. AC induction motors are only about 65-75% efficient and motors from China are no different. If the efficiency was much worse than that, the motor would run very hot and likely burn up and I don't think that is the case. But the main reason for my comment is that because the pressure is lower, the flow rate is lower and it is the flow rate that primarily dictates the energy use of a centrifugal pump.

jeanft said:
Should the pump run longer every day since less pressure?
Probably not. Like I said before, lower flow rates generally result in better filtering and as long as the pool stays as clean as you want it to, then there is no reason for longer run times.

But the main reason for my comment is that because the pressure is lower, the flow rate is lower and it is the flow rate that primarily dictates the energy use of a centrifugal pump.

I get ya, and i agree.

What i meant was, im guessing that pump and motor was purchased for it's price, not it's energy efficiency. I would't be surprised to see that it was tweaked to use less energy but in doing so sabotaged the motors longevity.

AND...

It being Chinese, you may not be able to just go out and get a motor that will bolt up to the pump.

Pictures may tell...

Thank you for the answers. This pump is working fine, very quiet and electricity bill doesn't seem as high compared to the Hayward pump.

OH... I though that when you said you need to change the pump, that it was because it had failed. If it works, run it! deal with it when it quits. IMO, the only upgrade you should do is to a VS pump, but only when you need to.

Let that dog sleep for now...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.