First time slamming new pool

swreeder70

Mar 15, 2016
Wimberley, TX
So new pool (not new pool owner) I just started slamming our pool that was completed back in August. I had started another thread some time ago about our rising PH and was able to get it into check by getting our TA down to 70. After getting the water balanced our CC jumped up to 1.5 and it was time to slam.

Two days ago I tested our pool
FC 1
CC 1.5
CYA 40
PH 7.4
TA 70

I added enough bleach to get the FC up to 16 and have been holding it between 16-18 since then, needing to add a good amount of bleach the first few hours to keep the numbers in check. Bleach consumption has slowed down and the water is crystal clear. Pool has been vacuumed and brushed throughout the process.

However I am getting a strong ammonia smell from where the spa spills over into the pool. Assuming this is gas off of CC, but not sure since I have never experienced this before. My plan was if FC levels continued to hold I would shut the pump down at sunset tonight and do an overnight test.

Any thoughts regarding this smell and if I should be doing something different with my slam procedure because of it?

I suspect you are correct about the smell. At the same time though, the test results you posted are a couple days old. How is the FC and CC numbers today? If the CC is under .5, and your FC is holding, sure - do an OCLT this evening. But leave the pump running. You still want that circulation to continue until you know for sure the SLAM has passed all 3 SLAM criteria. Be patient. If you've only been SLAMming for 2 days, your pool may need a couple more. 2-3 days is an exceptionally fast SLAM. Hang in there and maintain. Sounds like you are doing fine.

looks like your doing good :) agree with Pat, post up some new numbers and let it roll a couple days and see what happens

I checked FC at 9:00 last night and it was 19. Last does of CL was at 5:00pm yesterday when it dropped to 14.

I will say before I started the SLAM my water was clear, but there obviously was some nasty stuff living in it from my test readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.