Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to get wet sand out of filter??

1. Back To Top    #1

How to get wet sand out of filter??

I am switching from Baquacil to Chlorine. I want to change sand AFTER the conversion to make sure its all out before putting new sand in. How can I get the wet sand out of the filter? I know a shop vac is said to work well for dry sand but is it strong enough for wet sand?

Also what is a recommended wet/dry vac? Thanks alot!
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to get wet sand out of filter??

Most any wet/dry shop vac will do. Keep in mind that the sand is very dense, so you will need to empty the shop vac more often than you might otherwise.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

When I changed mine, I scooped about half of it out until I could see the drain hole. At that point I just use a garden hose to wash it out the drain hole.

dave
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

Both of the above mentioned methods work well I just want to mention that if the filter is fiberglass, be sure to have a long-sleeve shirt on to protect your arms
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks a lot for the replies! So I saw a 6.5 peak HP 16 gallon craftsman wet/dry vac at sears for about $100. Is that enough power for the job? The pool store told me wet sand is almost impossible to get out without hand scooping all of it.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mrshowtime3
    Thanks a lot for the replies! So I saw a 6.5 peak HP 16 gallon craftsman wet/dry vac at sears for about $100. Is that enough power for the job? The pool store told me wet sand is almost impossible to get out without hand scooping all of it.
    The pool stores say a lot of things that aren't true too!!
    27ft Above Ground Pool, 52" walls, vinyl liner
    1hp Pentair pump system
    22.5" Pentair sand filter
    BBB is stocked up!!
    TF-100 test kit