Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I raise my CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I raise my CYA?

I feel that my CYA is on the low side. My SWG info recommends 60-80 for CYA. Should I raise it? My FC is holding at 3, day and night. And also, my PH is a tad high. It is between 7.5-7.8. Here are my numbers.

FC 3
    CC 0
    TA 70 (SWG recommends 80-120)
    CYA 55
    PH 7.5-7.8 (SWG recommends 7.2-7.6)
    SALT 3400

And I must comment about my son-in-law calling a 'pool guy' to give him advice on his pool. I think the 'pool guy' might have him convinced not to install a SWG or to use BBB for his pool! Boy when I get back down to Florida on Sunday, I am going to do this to my son-in-law !
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I raise my CYA?

Raising the CYA to between 70 and 80 will make the SWG last longer and help you chemistry be more stable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Should I raise my CYA?

Quote Originally Posted by triplets&quads
    ..........I think the 'pool guy' might have him convinced not to install a SWG or to use BBB for his pool! Boy when I get back down to Florida on Sunday, I am going to do this to my son-in-law !

Just in case you haven't seen it, here's waterbear's water balance tips for SWGs

water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!