LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
Venice, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
While power washing, I uncovered this little number. It is a piece of the rebar that is WAY too close to the surface. I believe it contributed to some iron staining in the area of the pool closest to it. Can someone tell me the best way to "fix" it, and does the exposed structure pose any electrical trouble.IMG_6484.jpg

Over the five year life of our pool, the deck has developed small cracks in various places. It is most noticeable where the spa meets the deck, but there are several hairline cracks elsewhere. How is it best to address them? IMG_6463.jpg

Thanks for your input!

The best solution for the rebar, would be to chip around it, cut it out, refill with cement, and then try to blend the top coat surface.

About the only things I can thing of you can do for the cracks is re-grout or use a colored caulk.

Thanks for your reply! Chip it out, huh? That sounds intimidating. My construction is bonded/grounded. In the short term, while it is exposed, does the exposed rebar pose any electrical risk?

This is an outside the box idea so definitely run it past a professional. since it is on a control joint how about using a wet saw or diamond blade grinder to not only cut it out but widen the whole joint from one end to the other. Then fill the joint with a slab gasket. It will give it more of an "I meant to do that" look then trying to patch the concrete. As for the hairline cracks I would leave it till it gets so bad you want to replace the coping. I don't think there will be an electrical issue the rebar in the deck should be bonded to the pool by a bonding clamp somewhere in the deck. The dobies and wire used to tie all the rebar together before they pour the deck bonds each piece to the others creating a network of sorts, not unlike a ufer ground. Only way I can think you would run into a problem is if you cut the bonding wire or clamp in the process of removing the rebar. unlikely unless that piece is directly between the equipment pad and the pool as that is the most likely place for the clamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.