storage of wet cover

e2015

Aug 10, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Opening our pool for the first time on Friday. It is currently covered with a solid (tarp) safety cover that we have been diligently keeping clear all winter with a water pump. How dry does it have to be for it to be safely folded up and stored for the summer? We are expecting rain tomorrow, and I imagine that the underside will be wet as well. Is there a preferred way to dry it out to prevent mold or other damage?

Thanks.

Dry as a bone. When I find myself in that situation, I loosely fold the cover and put it in the garage if it's close to dry or just let it get rained on if it's still wet, then spread it out on the driveway when the rain is gone.

Got a question somewhat along these lines. I have been told by several people that they fold their cover up and store it in a bin with water and algeacide. What's the opinion on this?

We took our cover off last week and let it dry in the yard. It was really dry yesterday (like brittle dry) when we folded it up. But currently, it is just sitting on our garage floor until we find a bin to store it in.

Got a question somewhat along these lines. I have been told by several people that they fold their cover up and store it in a bin with water and algeacide. What's the opinion on this?

We took our cover off last week and let it dry in the yard. It was really dry yesterday (like brittle dry) when we folded it up. But currently, it is just sitting on our garage floor until we find a bin to store it in.

Algaecide would be pointless in a closed bin. Algae requires sunlight. Don't see what the advantage of water is either.

I second John T. It can be a pain, but you want it dry. I have done all of the above, pulled it into the garage if it is close to dry and rain is coming, otherwise spread it out on your driveway as best as you can, change positions periodically to prevent water from pooling in one place, place lawn chairs underneath to raise it off the ground in places, etc. A reasonably sunny day should take care of it.

My sister has used two different pool companies to open/close her pool for 11 years and they have always kept hers in a trash can filled with water for the summer. I store mine in my attic for the summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.