Time to start AA treatment?

Oct 6, 2015
TX
Hello all,

I have been taking care of my pool since Oct '15 using the TFP method. Now that the water is balanced I'd like to take care of the stains.

TBH I haven't noticing any big stain changes in the past few months. (I didn't pay much attention to the pool when the pool co. was taking care of it.)

I just took some pictures of the stains and boy does my pool look yucky :(

I tried the vitamin c experiment and I think it looks promising. You might see some white splotches in the earlier pictures. These are from an earlier experiment. I did a new one today (in three spots) to show before and after.

1. There is some very dark staining on a wall. It is a deep blue and black in some spots. It doesn't scrape off with my fingernail.
2. Some rusty spots on a bench and in the deep end by the main drains. Likely some fertilizer that fell into the pool. There is grass right next to it.
3. In some spots, turquoise is peeking through. I guess the first layer of plaster has worn off?
4. In a couple of spots I notice little holes (not much bigger than the point of a pencil). Is there a way to patch these?

The water is pretty balanced. I haven't had a +ive CC reading since last fall.

Should I go ahead and start AA treatment?

I need to add some calcium. Should I do that before or after the AA?

Many thanks!

I'm adding a link to my dropbox folder. Dropbox - pool
I tried multiple times to add the photos here and/or organize them oh photobucket but it's not working for some reason :(

Last edited:
I do NOT want to be the one to say it :( replaster MAYBE that does not need to happen BUT all signs point to it.

Do you have any idea how old the pool is?

Kim
Our pool was 25 years old last May and we did a complete remodel including Pebble Tec after emptying bags of plaster sand. If you're in long term that's the way to protect your investment. I know...not easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you losing any water? To me THAT is the main question. If not then you can baby it along BUT I would not do anything big to the plaster that is there as you do not want to do anything that might harm it any more. Learn to live with the stains and enjoy swimming in it like it is.

The better you maintain the proper levels the longer what is left will last.

Kim

Are you losing any water? To me THAT is the main question. If not then you can baby it along BUT I would not do anything big to the plaster that is there as you do not want to do anything that might harm it any more. Learn to live with the stains and enjoy swimming in it like it is.

The better you maintain the proper levels the longer what is left will last.

Kim
Agree. More cosmetic than anything. We lived with it long enough and decided to get active but no hurry if you don't mind the look. Water quality first!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.