intex, SWCG and rust

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
I set my intex 26' pool up in 2012 and I use an intex SWCG. I LOVE it!

When I started with my pool a lot of people were curious about whether the SWCG would cause rust issues. It did.
I first noticed the rusting (keep in mind that I did keep an eye on it) in the summer of 2015. That's 3 years before rusting. The rust was confined mostly to the 2 legs on either side of the thru the wall skimmer. That, I believe was because when we would get our daily thunderstorms (NE Fla - June thru Nov)
the water would overflow thru the skimmer and splash those legs. One other leg did rust just a bit where the leg entered the black plastic foot.
I ordered 4 legs from intex knowing that I had to replace 2 but preparing in case I had others that were damaged where I could not see. Turns out I had only to replace 3.
I drained the pool as much as it would drain thru the drain hole. Then then using a clean water pump I took it down to just about dry and let the sun do the rest.
Once it was drained I disassembled the pool and pushed it back one half at a time and placed flexible caulking in the grooves between the sheets of extruded polystyrene that I had used as an underlayment. The grooves were because I used only 1 strip of duct tape when the smart people on here suggested 3 strips of gorilla tape. My bad. I should have listened. Anyway, I filled the grooves and hope that it helps reduce the dirt that collects on the bottom of the pool. After filling the grooves I reassembled the pool and put in the new legs. All good now.
My point to all this is that I use a SWCG and I only had to do the repairs at the 4 year mark. Not too bad considering how easy it is to maintain the pool with the SWCG.

Here are a few pictures. Just for fun. The pool is back up and getting ready for summer.

Good documentation and feedback. Certainly salt can accelerate and encourage corrosion, especially when it is allowed to dry on a metal surface, even one that's painted. Rust can be avoided or its onset delayed by being vigilant about rinsing off surfaces that get splashed with saline water. This is also true of softer stone materials around a SWG pool. Rinsing them off after they are splashed with pool water can help prolong their lifespan.

Good point. Rinsing would probably have helped tho I was pleased that it didn't happen sooner.
By the time it happens again we'll be due for a new pool. The walls of the liner are fine but the top of the rail pockets are beginning to show sun damage. I still expect 2 or 3 years more. Not too shabby for a temporary pool that stays up all year round with the hot Florida sun beating down on it.
We get torrential rains here and my yard gets mighty soggy so I hate to add to the ground water but I'll give rinsing the legs a try. We considered covering the legs with some of that spray on truck bed liner. I don't remember why we didn't.

Great Pictures! I have had my 18' for 5 years and ran the SWG all 5 years. I also am showing some rust but it is mainly at the connecting points on the shafts and the t connectors where the metal slides into the other pieces. A few pieces are showing some considerable wear and rust and if it were not for me upgrading to a bigger pool this year I would have to decide if the would warrant replacement this year.

If I do not end up giving my old pool away to my niece, I will probably keep the good legs and store them so if I run into this issue down the road with the new pool I will have replacement parts. Quick question. Has anyone else ever used the old liner as a way to patch holes in a new liner? Not sure if this is advisable but it would be a reason to keep a big chuck on the old liner for use if the new liner ever got holes in it.

Patching can be done with vinyl patch kits.

Glad your pool is up n running now Angie.

Thank you Casey. I wasn't sure if the material of the Intex would work for this kind of use. I only mentioned it because the pattern of the liner would match and you could probably do a good job of matching it up. I wasn't sure if the material could be used since it is also vinyl. I have a vinyl patch kit but only used it for the blow up toys.

I am nervous about the new pool. I had such good luck with the old pool that I hope all my luck wasn't used up and now I get the other end of the spectrum with problems galore.

You should be fine. Any questions, just ask in your thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.