Refinishing Advice Needed - Bond Coat or Remove Wash Existing 2 Layers of Plaster?

Mar 30, 2016
Arlington, TX
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and am getting ready to have my pool re-plastered with some form of mini pebble (either Stonescapes Mini Pebble or CLI Crystalstone Mini Pebble) or if I can afford it Gemstone Arctic Coast (http://gemstonepools.finestfinishpools.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/8869_GEMSTONE_ARCTIC_6-8.pdf) a polished pebble finish.

The question I have is do I need to have my existing pool finish pressure washed (40,000PSI) / chipped out to provide a good surface to bond to, or would it be fine to allow the contractor to test for/remove hollows, acid wash, and apply a bond coat?

For some background, my pool is not saltwater, was built in 1995, and I believe has two existing plasters in it. I believe it has the original regular white plaster with a bond coat applied and then the existing 11 year old diamond brite finish that needs to be replaced. I am not the original owner, but know about the diamond brite finish from the previous homeowner.

Thank you all for any insight you can provide.

-Caleb

Prep method before replastering should be dependant on the condition of the existing surface. When delaminations (hollow spots) are present chip out tends to be recommended because there is an existing bond failure. When the surface is soft, spalling, or flaking sandblasting or water jet with a bond coat will work fine. When the surface is still hard with no bond failure an acid wash with bond coat can be done. Ask the contractor why they are choosing the prep method that is being used and ask questions.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

I should add that I do not have any visible delamination, bubbles, or cracks that I can see in the pool. I've never drained it since I've owned it though (not sure if the pressure of the water against the plaster matters). What's driving me to resurface the pool is how rough and mottled it is. When I bought the house the CYA was off the charts so it's etched pretty bad. Also the roughness is tearing my poor Polaris to bits. Blue quartz bits also come with any leaves he captures every time I empty him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.