HELP! Have $$$ to spend...judiciously

Mar 23, 2016
El Paso, IL
Not sure where to begin...Love the pool but only had a couple day of use last year. Busy buying chemicals!!! UGGGGGHHHH!! Let me just number my ???s and hope you intelligient folks can help me.

1. See my setup below. Layout is skimmer to pump, to sand filter, to chlorinator, to jet in pool.
2. Have a floor sucker Ray, something. It does a fairly good job. Is there a better way to remove debris, algae, etc. from pool bottom?
3. Want to convert to salt water, no idea what to buy. Anyone have economical suggestions? Where do I place it in current layout? After sand filter? Would entertain idea of a new pump. I ran pump 24X7 last year and it cost me $105/month. How long do you need to run the pump? Should I know the GPM of my pump?

Look forward to any advice y'all could offer! Thanks ;)

HELP!! Time to switch to salt

Hey all,
New pool owner here. 1st season sucked, mainly just bought chemicals! Some ?s below:

1. What's best/most economical SWG? Where does it install? After sand filter?
2. I have a "Ray" thing that automatically goes around and sucks debris from floor. Is there anything better? I have a lot of leaves etc. We live in the country and with the tornadic winds we have I do not cover the pool.
3. I ran my pump 24/7 last year and it cost me $105/month. Not sure if that's good or not. How often do I need to run pump? Should I know the GPM of my pool?

thanks in advance for any info you provide! Thanks!;)

Welcome to TFP,

The best thing you can do, is educate yourself on pool care by starting with the basics. Start with the ABCs in Pool Scool.

The next best thing you can do is getting a quality test kit. The Taylor 2006C, or the TF100. The latter is a better buy, with the same Reagents from Taylor.

All the links to this info are in my signature links below.

You can find links to all this

Hey there, I lived in El Paso for almost 10 years..

Here is a SWG comparison chart, I really love my curcupool SJ model and the SJ55 would work perfect for your size pool (The link below is for the SJ40 but its a free upgrade to the 55), we recommend 2 to 4 times the size SWG to get the most out of them. CircuPool® SJ-40 Salt Pool System

You have a single speed pump, and a big one at that.. you do not need to run it 24 hours and if it dies or needs replaced for a 2 speed replacement pump. read over this to see how long to run your pump.

check out all the links in my signature and ask more questions, we will get you going...

+1 on the TF100 test kit, it is a must to take care of your pool

You have received some good advice so far, we find that the vast majority of the time that people come here with filtration concerns the problem is really pool chemistry related. Given your location and west texas dust you may need to run your filter longer than the majority of people here, but it should still be well short of 24x7 operation. As to an SWG vs manual chlorination, the SWG does tend to make things easier, but does not save much if any money in the long run. What will save you money is getting a quality test kit, I too suggest the TF-100 (see my signature for link), understanding how to use it and knowing what your pool needs. For most people that means knowing how much Chlorine to maintain in your pool (either manually added, or through the use of an SWG or chlorine pump), knowing and maintaining the correct CYA level, and keeping your pH in line (some people have pH that tends to drift up, others have pH that tends to drift down, some drift fast, some drift slow it just depends on where you live, your water and what gets blown into your pool). When it comes to buying an SWG we strongly suggest going "over sized" so if you have a 27,000 gallon pool, shop for an SWG rated for 40,000 - 50,000 gallons. I don't personally use an SWG due to having an indoor pool and additional corrosion concerns, but I can say that by far the most popular model members have here are the Hayward SWG's.

That is too funny, I also thought it was El Paso TX, had no idea there was one in IL and you were once here in OK... Too funny :)

Awesome! Thanks for the info. BTW, we lived in Pryor, OK for two year prior to coming to IL. Small world, eh?

Welcome to TFP! Is that El Paso in Illinois? Did not know such a town existed. I was born an raised in El Paso, TX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.