Order and frequency of testing?

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Our pool should be ready in a few more weeks and I'm trying to get handle on the water testing and maintenance.
I have the TF100 test kit ordered and have read sections of pool school on chemicals and testing, but still have several questions...

Is there a certain order that the various tests should be done in?
How often should each of the various tests be conducted?
What else should I do to prepare myself?

Thanks!

Specific order to test? Not really. Go ahead and test everything with your TF-100. Based on the results, then you determine what should be done first. We can help. Here is a good TFP page on frequency of testing: Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule. Still, every pool is different, so you may test some items slightly differently. But it's a good starting point.

Best thing to do while waiting ... read (and re-read) the links from the Pool School page (link in my sig), and have the Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart handy as a reference at all times. Follow those references and you can never go wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and practice using the Poolmath Calculator. Pre-load your pool size and different test readings/goals to see how that tool works. It is a fantastic product that will save you a lot of time and effort. Pay particular to the FC row and ensuring you manually enter the correct bleach percentage. :)

As everyone above me has said, FC and pH are the most frequently tested...and since your pool will be new the gunnite has a period where it will be curing.

This may take months, but you'll need to keep a close eye on the pH and may require frequent dosing of muriatic acid (MA) to keep in range.

It will stabilize as it cures and require less pH adjustments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.