Murrieta, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
3rd pool for me so have some experience, but first time I've had this problem, and always in a learning mode:D...have checked all check valves and verified all are operating correctly; the last two items to check are the suction side valve (automated) and the recent addition of a Spa blower. My guess is with new construction I've got some debris in the suction side valve; at least that's my hope. One question is the recently added blower is above waterline of the spa; not withstanding head pressure, how would a blower induce reduced spa levels when pumps are off, and valves are aligned for pool service (assuming everything is sealing as expected, including the blower's seal?

Thanks to anyone/everyone for any info/insight!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The blower can not lower the spa water level when the pumps are off. At most, the blower pipe would fill up with water up to the spa water level.

The only options for the spa level dropping are:
1. Leaking check or 3-way valve water going back to pool. Spa level drops to pool level.
2. Leak to outside of system. Spa level drops to a level not consistent with the pool.

If possible you can leave the equipment off for a couple of days and see how low the water goes to help point you in a general direction. If you have a drop test kit you can use the red pH reagent to look for a siphon. Squeeze the bottle next to or in front of every opening and watch for the draw. Best to do with the spa full so you might need to jump in to check lower areas like the light and main drain. Remember to be very still as any movement will affect the reagent. This usually ruins the reagent by diluting it with water so don't forget to get a replacement for your test kit.

GL!

Thanks everyone; I'm guessing that the recent addition of the spa blower setup is the culprit as the water levels drop to just below jet level, but not any further; then again, its all about pressure equalization so I'll still check the remaining valves to make sure, but my guess is that the air / check valve within the blower housing is either defective, or the spring is too weak to handle the ambient pressure; on the latter I really have no idea what I'm talking about but that's my unlearned opinion ;). I've noticed too that when the spa pumps are on, but the blower is off, the blower check valve is pulsating a lot; again, not sure if that's normal as this is the first blower I've added...

Pulsating is normal with the blower off but unless there's a bad glue joint on the blower plumbing it's not going to drain the spa. It's connected to the same return line as the spa returns so I can see how it may be misleading.

The water has to go somewhere, does your pool level raise during this issue? If so double check your check valves for glue residue in the valve body where the spring loaded flap rests. Also check the switching valve diverters, I've seen the seal on them rip or tear over time due to glue residue in the valve body.

If not then it very may well be a bad glue joint on the air line.

the last two items to check are the suction side valve (automated) and the recent addition of a Spa blower.
You should have another valve, the return side valve actuator. Make sure that the valve handles (if Jandy, Compool, or Pentair) line up with the plumbing, i dare say perfectly parallel. If askew at all, they may allow spa water to equalize back to the pool. Keep in mind that depending on the amount of by-pass (opening) dictates how much water equalizes in the amount of time that the equipment is off. IOW, spa water may not equalize to the level of the pool in the amount of time the equipment is off. Turning the pool equipment off for a few days, or until the draining stops, should tell you if it is a drain down, or an actual leak. If spa level stops at pool level, you can bet it is a valve issue, pool/spa, or check.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking time to respond. I ended up testing the Spa Blower to ensure no issues there and there was not; then I disassembled / reassembled every actuator/manual valve, check valve, re-greased every o-ring, etc. in the entire system and viola, spa level is staying right where it should. While I did find some pvc trimmings in spots, they did not appear to be at a seal junction but then again who knows. I believe one of the actuator's alignment was very slightly off (but in alignment with Pool Clown's comment above). In summary, I performed basic maintenance on each and every moving part, re-greased every seal, etc. and somehow resolved the problem. The great news is the crash course on my pool plumbing provided me great insight into how it all works. I do need to chat with the electrician about how they incorrectly wired the spa pumps/actuator valves to the EasyTouch system for drain and fill functions but otherwise all seems good to go. Now back to pool chemistry; daily testing combined with my scotch titration makes pool maintenance effortless.::epds::

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.