Grand SLAM attempt

TCP

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia Beach, Va
I am determined to get the pool right this year, last year we were not consistent or knowledge enough so Algae 1 - Us 0.

Background
Our normal Pool cover ripped 2 years ago so we used a Solar cover over that winter. Last year when we removed the cover to open the pool a lot of leaves and crud went into the pool. We attempted to shock / open and managed to spend a lot of time and money but never followed thru. At best water was opaque, never clear.

This year, THANKS to this site I actually think I know what i'm doing !!

Last week, before removing the solar cover I removed all the leaves from the cover then I removed the cover (filled up 4 leaf bags 1/2 full). I removed any leaves from the pool (not many)and then I brushed the pool walls and vacuumed. Water looked very dark green / blackish with many, many, many visible small particles. I am running the pump and after backwashing when needed the PSI remains at @12.

Test results using @1year old leslie's 18-576

PH 7.2 (I had raised it from 6.8 the day before, hindsight should have waited until after the CYA / TA)
CYA no reading. Black dot still visible (done twice using 2 different leslie kits, above and a Leslie deluxe - age unknown although reagent looked clear) added 4lbs CYA Goal 35
TA 40 - added 42oz baking soda, will test again and raise to 60
Ordered a Taylor 2006c, should arrive on Friday. Hopefully Friday / Saturday start the SLAM

Started a deep clean of the sand filter today. At first the water was black with many, many, many small particles floating out. After 30 minutes (see pic) the water looking in was semi clear, I was able to see the bronze hose fitting but not the top of the sand. Still had visible particles floating around, granted not as many

Question ???;
Should I continue with the sand cleaning / give up and just replace the sand / or keep the sand, stop the cleaning now and after the slam is done clean and/or replace sand.

SLAM plan
Test TA / PH and get in range (60-80 / 7.2-7.5)
Test CYA Friday (added CYA Monday night, at least give me an idea of where its at) ??
Start Slam Friday if Kit arrives or Saturday / using CYA 35
Test FC every 10 minutes (read the ammonia thread ) ???
(using Walmart Pool essentials chlorinating liquid 10% at $2.50 gallon)

Thanks again to all for the wealth of knowledge. I have notes upon notes and am very looking forward to enjoying my pool more than the resident Ducks (which drives my Shepherds crazy)

Tom

Welcome! :wave:

I wouldn't obsess on cleaning the filter because 1) you're just going to load it up again immediately and 2) sand filters work better when they're slightly dirty.

Your plan seems sound except that I wouldn't wait so long to get started. Take the pH up, sure, but don't worry about getting TA exactly right before you start. Your vinyl pool is in no danger of plaster etching, and you'll be replacing a fair amount of water through backwashing as you clear the swamp. Once it's clear and you're fine-tuning things, then you can add some baking soda. You should get on the bleach ASAP. Even if the best you can do is early morning/just home from work/ just before bed, you'll get a lot of algae killed; at least keep it from growing any more. Algae needs sunlight and with the cover off, it's going to start growing.

You are going to LOVE your pool this year! I love that you have been reading and have the test kit on the way!

Richard has you covered on what to do..........now go put some bleach in your pool and lets get this party started!

kim

Your homework is impressive. Stay on the forum with questions until you are crystal clear and then do not forget that your chlorine consumption will increase as the water gets warmer.

Do I need to consider ammonia looking at the recent "dealing with ammonia" thread.
Is there no way to test for ammonia prior to the SLAM? I have a salt water reef tank and can test for ammonia, would it be the same ?

Thanks for the feedback so far, what's impressive is the amount of data here and the generosity of knowledge people willing to share that knowledge in a constructive way

put the filter back together, after a quick backwash pressure is a t 12.
Just finished adding 1 gal chlorine in and the UPS driver dropped off my 2006c test kit,which was suppose to get here Friday.
Have an important mtg Thursday so Friday is still the slam day.

Ran PH and TA on new and the there test kit I have and not had ph at 7.2, old kit TA was 50, new was 60.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
end of day 1 - started about 8am, went thru a few hurdles but am making progress.
my CYA ended up to be 60 this morning - either when I measured earlier and it wasn't zero or i added to much CYA earlier in the week. Either way shock level will be 24 & I've managed to keep it there all day. Lowest it dropped was 21.

Before removing cover

After cover was removed

My assistant attempting to evict a local tenant.
Darn duck came back a couple times before finally flying to the neighbors roof and letting us know he wasn't happy with what we were doing to his pond.

Early afternoon - had to run out again to replace my sisters car battery.

overall was a great day for this. it was supposed to storm but never did and ended up being overcast most of the day.

Nice job already! Make sure to keep taking pictures looking down into the pool. Do you have the steps still in it? If so take the pic there. If not put your brush in and take the pic of that. That will help you see it as it clears.

CUTE dog and duck........I hope the duck stays away. They sure are messy.

Kim

ok another bone-head move. got up this morn to vacuum, then check levels. had another hidden gumball clog up the hose, cleared that and continued to vacuum but i forgot to put the pump strainer basket back in. figured it out when i lost flow and after checking the hoses started looking at the pump and just like that darn duck it was sitting over my head on the rail laughin at me.

removed the strainer housing, removed the pump cover, cleared the impellor, replacing all then i broke the strainer retainer clip even after i told myself not to break it. Need to wait until 10 to see if the dreaded pool stores carry it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.