Upgrading Intex Easy Setup Pool Pump

jcs

Mar 29, 2016
Jacksonville
Hi everyone. I am new to this site and need advice from anyone who has upgraded their pool pump on the Easy Set Up Intex Pool. I have a 15' x 48' Easy Setup Pool with 1,000 gpm pump. It has three valves coming from the pool with a "T" for two that brings it from 2 hoses to 1 going into the pump and of course 1 coming back out to the pool. I want to upgrade to the 2,500 gpm pump. I know I will need some type of conversion kit since I am going from 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Can anyone walk me through how to convert this pool to a better pump? Thank in advance, Jen

Honestly, with that size pump, I'd forget about adapters and cut out the holes for your fittings so that you can go with 1 1/2" end to end. There's really nothing to it, after you get over the initial nausea at the thought of taking an Xacto knife to your pool liner. Many of us here have done it.

temporary_zpsvesmqnuc.jpg

However, for the squeamish, search Amazon for Intex adapter.

Thank you! Glad to hear it's simple and easy to just cut the liner. My next dilemma is the pool that we have has two intake valves and one return. The two intake valves meet at a "t" coupler and go into pump as a single hose. I believe the new pump only comes with hose and fittings for one intake and one return. Anyone else have this problem and overcome it. I assume I could buy an extra hose and somewhere find a 1 1/2" T coupler. I have yet to find how to block the second intake valve instead of finding a T coupler that would work and the extra hose.

Intex sells the extra intake fitting and a cap you can screw on to close it off if you wish. But personally, I'd build a tee out of PVC and use them both.

I built something similar for a few bucks that I use on the return side as a fountain/foot wash.

temporary_zpscnsrizjq.jpg

I don't know about stressing the pump, but the cross section of a 1 1/2" fitting is 44% larger than that of a 1 1/4". I think you're wasting money on a 2500 gpm pump if you don't upsize the plumbing accordingly. There's a reason Intex makes them with the connections sized as they are.

I understand - I hesitated too. But once I did, it was no big deal. Just take your time making the cut. There's really not that much stress on the liner even with the pool nearly full. When I installed my thru-the-wall skimmer, I only drained to just below the cut. Talk about putting a hole in your liner!

temporary_zps43a4ed4a.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.