SWG - Worried about corrosion

firehunter

Bronze Supporter
Feb 24, 2016
Houston
I'm still debating SWG or not. The hold back is possible corrosion. At the minimum distance our pool will be about 3' from the house and outdoor patio. Do we need to worry about any corrosion issues on the outside of the home or on or within the outdoor patio? Especially to the patio flood light, outdoor speakers, fan, can lighting, furniture? We will also put a portable fire pit and patio furniture on the deck close to the pool and don't want to have to worry about these as well.

The only thing you might worry about is splashing.. at 3500 ppm you are way under ocean salt water of 32000 ppm or so :) if someone splashes (cannonball) you can use a garden hose and spray the porch/house and all will be good :)

If you are really worried about something getting corroded you can use Corrosion-X Anti-Corrosion Aerosol and Lubricant, 16-Ounce and it is awesome..

Amazon.com: Corrosion-X Anti-Corrosion Aerosol and Lubricant, 16-Ounce: Sports Outdoors

There's very little to worry about, the extra salt you would add to the water will not matter. As a matter of fact, you already have a salt water pool if you use any form of chlorine or add muriatic acid to your pool water...every pool has salt in it. Most people are amazed when they switch to salt and buy 20 or 30 bags of pool salt only to realize that need half that amount because their water already has salt in it. I would not be surprised at all if you tested your water and found that your chloride level is already up above 1000ppm.

I just switched to SWG (Pentair IC 40) and am very glad I did. I was using a Stenner pump for chlorine addition but hauling jugs since August was getting a little old. I plan on converting my Stenner to a acid addition device since I already have the connection in place.

As JoyfulNoise points out when I tested my water after only using Bleach from August until February my salt in the pool was 1400ppm. I was surprised so while not 3200ppm it was almost half way there. I think ensuring you have proper water chemistry, so test often, is in my opinion more important.

There's very little to worry about, the extra salt you would add to the water will not matter. As a matter of fact, you already have a salt water pool if you use any form of chlorine or add muriatic acid to your pool water...every pool has salt in it. Most people are amazed when they switch to salt and buy 20 or 30 bags of pool salt only to realize that need half that amount because their water already has salt in it. I would not be surprised at all if you tested your water and found that your chloride level is already up above 1000ppm.

That and people obviously sweat in the pool... lol!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.