Filter Cleaning Help

I think everyone has the same concern .... algae. We won't know that for sure until you get the proper test kit. If it had been something you added to the water previously that may have gummed-up the filter, it would be gummed-up all the time. But since you are able to clear some of the pressure with rinsing, there must be some organic material you are washing away. As soon as you crank-up the filter, it traps more. The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit results will help us confirm that. Adding the bleach for now simply helps to keep anything from getting worse until you kit arrives.

A little more background: 2 weeks ago I came back from a trip and found my pool to be green and full of algae. I went to Leslie's and bought a green to clean treatment and a bunch of shock. I followed their instructions to a tee and the pool cleared up in a week. It has now been clear for more than a week but still see the pressure in the filter build quickly. Is it that it is still clearing algae out and that's why the filters get dirty so quickly? I had never had algae or any green in the pool the 7 months before.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How long did it take to increase the pressure in your filter prior to the green pool event?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm almost positive that the algae treatment from before simply didn't fully work. That's very common with pool store products which is one reason why you end-up going back and spending more money. It's a gut-wrenching, perpetual cycle. We're going to help you break that cycle once and for all with the help of a TF-100. Since you will most-likely need to SLAM your pool for a few days, make sure to ask for the "XL" option and "Speed stir" for consist and (easy) mixing. Do some reading on the SLAM page (link below in my sig) and you'll be ready for when the kit arrives.

It's not your fault. Simply put the pool store not only gave you inconsistent test results, but they also sold you products that inevitably cause more problems down the road. The few months prior, especially in colder weather, you were just lucky. :)

I am 95% positive that is what is clogging your filters, it can take a while to clear dead greenies out of your pool.. You say "the last 7 months" does this mean it is a new pool and only 7 months old, if so you may have only 40 CYA and that is a good thing, we will only know once we get good reading...

Go get regular bleach from walmart, or wherever, no splashless or good smell kind, just normal cheap bleach, about 6 to 10 gallons...

at 10,000 gallons put 2 quarts or 1/2 gallon in a day until you receive your test kit

A little more background: 2 weeks ago I came back from a trip and found my pool to be green and full of algae. I went to Leslie's and bought a green to clean treatment and a bunch of shock. I followed their instructions to a tee and the pool cleared up in a week. It has now been clear for more than a week but still see the pressure in the filter build quickly. Is it that it is still clearing algae out and that's why the filters get dirty so quickly? I had never had algae or any green in the pool the 7 months before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
+1 on the stirrer :)

Your filters will continue to clog until we get all the algae dead and gone, it will all depend as there is not a set time that your pool will clear... You may (you do not have to) get a new set of filters, that way you can have 1 set filtering and clean the other set and on standby for when the filter pressure rises... Amazon.com : pleatco PCC80-PAK4 Replacement Cartridge for Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320, Pack of 4 Cartridges : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden

+1 on the stirrer :)

Your filters will continue to clog until we get all the algae dead and gone, it will all depend as there is not a set time that your pool will clear... You may (you do not have to) get a new set of filters, that way you can have 1 set filtering and clean the other set and on standby for when the filter pressure rises... Amazon.com : pleatco PCC80-PAK4 Replacement Cartridge for Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 320, Pack of 4 Cartridges : Swimming Pool Cartridge Filters : Patio, Lawn Garden
Are those the exact cartridges I need? Id love to have a second set, just wasn't sure which to buy.

+1 on getting a set of those Pleatco cartridges for your filter. I love my Pleatco cartridges. I've got 2 sets of them now.

Your filter is a Pentair Clean&Clear 320 or C&C320, 320 square foot cartridge filter.

Just throwing this out there, may be nothing but in your picture of the filter I think I see a Intelliflo VS pump there. If that is the filter pump could the pressure differential be from different speeds depending on schedules etc?

pH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the pH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the pH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

Another FINE example of how TFP is the best place on the web for pool help! THANKS to everyone that had jumped in to help!

Un it is awesome to see someone get it as fast as you have.........ordering a good test kit and listening!

You just THOUGHT you pool was clear before. Wait until you see it after these great folks gets through with it!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.