At what point would a high FC become a problem?

Jun 17, 2015
Houston, Tx
I am in the middle of a SLAM and I am away from the pool for most of the day. How high can I crank up the FC before I have issues? My CYA is 30 so my goal FC is 12 but I know if I have it at 12 when I leave it will be too low by the time I get to put more bleach in. If I get the FC up to 20 I am asking for problems?

i dont think 20 is going to matter esp since you have a plaster pool, besides its not going to stay there very long if you are dealing with algae. I did the same thing back in the day on my SLAM, i went a lot higher in the morning to try and keep the FC above the SLAM level for as long as i could. BUT, once your FC consumption starts to slow down, you dont need to go so high. start it at 20 in the morning, when you get home and re-measure to see how much you lost. if you are down to 4 or 5 then i would keep it at 20. if you come back and you are at 10, then dial it down to 15 to start

Consistent dosing is better than overdosing. Remember that, at shock levels, your FC/CYA ratio is already at 40%. That's more than sufficient to kill algae. The FC loss rate is directly proportional to the amount of active chlorine (hypochlorous acid and hypochlorite anion) in the pool water which is proportional to the FC/CYA ratio. So, at some point, if you just keep increasing the FC at constant CYA then all you're doing is wasting chlorine to sunlight loss.

It would be better to find a way (ask a friend?) to keep the dosing consistent then to overshoot.

One other way that might help would be to raise your CYA a little further. Yes, your shock level FC will increase but you'll lose less chlorine to sunlight and protect what you do put in the water for longer times.

Ultimately it's up to you, but over doing the shock level is, ultimately, just wasting money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.