water level

the opening process is coming along. finally got my ph down to 7.2, my shock pretty much held overnight last night (had it at 20, 18 this morning - close enough?) my only problem is this... i got it from dark green to "milky" rather quickly (a couple of days) but it's been at this milky state for a week now and doesn't seem to be clearing. i brushed the entire pool a few days ago and i've had to backwash a couple times a day, so i know the filter is working, but it just won't get any clearer. i was wondering if my problem may be the water level is too high. the instructions that came with the pool said the water level should be at "mid-skimmer". well, with all the rain we been getting here in the midwest, my water level is about an inch from the top of the skimmer. i haven't lowered it yet because i know once i can see the bottom i'll be vacuming to waste and i'll need the extra water. do you think if i lower the water level, it'll filter better and clear faster, or does it really matter?
thanx again for the help.

The main problem with the water level being too high is reduced skimmer effectiveness at removing floating debris. Since you are backwashing frequently, I'd just use that to reduce the level.

delfargo said:
"close, but no cigar" huh? darn ! o.k. then, i'll keep it up with the bleach.
i did the de in the sand last year and it seemed to work. why not today?
when should i do it? wait till it clears up more?
also...any thoughts on the water level?
thanx mom.

Because everytime you backwash, you have to repeat the DE process, and you'll likely backwash again in the next day or so while your still shocking. So wait till the FC holds, backwash, then add the DE. :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Nope, not close enough. 1ppm or less... It can take a week or so for sand filters to clear up cloudy water after an algae bloom...
FPM's correct about the 1PPM or less, as usual! Remember that the "stuff" between the surface and the bottom that you can't see right now is going to get into the filter and/or has to be killed :whip: .
You have to use the P.O.P that you have and let the filter do it's work.
Terry in NC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.