Newbie New Pool Build Questions

We are debating a new pool in the DC/Baltimore area and I was hoping to get some input from the experts on a few items related to a custom free form 650 sq. ft. pool.

One builder is a Jandy guy and builds Zodiac pool systems that package a bunch of items from both Jandy and Paramount. I like the approach because they include all of the upgrades (such as variable pumps, larger filter, robotic cleaner, LED lights, etc.) but I am not sold on the filtration system after reading these forums. They use Nature 2 Fusion Soft, plus a paramount Clear 03 and extra Paramount EDC. The also use a Paramount MDX drain system.

The second builder is a Pentair guy and mixes and matches items, uses a straight intellichlor system but everything is an upgrade so I need to weed through the details. Pebbltec is also half the cost with this builder, about 5500 vs 11K with the first builder.

We are waiting on a 3rd quote now.

Two specific questions:

1) Thoughts on the whole Jandy/Zodiac/Nature2/Paramount system? Has anyone had a system like this installed? If you go to Jandy's site this seems it is standard pro series system.

2) Thoughts on the pebbletec price differences? Does 11K seem high based on these specs?

3) Any recommendations on builders in this area of the country?

thanks!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am just going to comment that TFP absolutely does NOT recommend the use of the Nature 2, or any system that intentionally adds metal to the water. We also do not recommend the use of UV or ozone systems for outdoor residential pools as they just do not seem to be necessary.

Thanks for the quick reply. Both of these systems are included in the base price of the pool so maybe I will request to have them switched for a SWG. I did mention this during the initial meeting and he said the Nature2 has a SWG in it as well so this was the best of both. Any harm on having the ozone system if it is included? I mean does it hurt to include or maybe it is totally not needed.

Well, ozone costs money to buy, uses electricity, and I think it actually breaks down some of the chlorine, requiring you to add more chlorine to compensate.

The required FC levels are a function of your CYA level according to the FC/CYA Chart. While some builders will claim that with these systems you can use less chlorine, we at TFP do not necessarily agree.

If you plan to be in the house for 10-25 years then Pentair plus Pebbletec is the way to go. Pebbletec will last a long, long time with proper pool care, TFPC style.

All quite true on PT (and PT seems on the high end in this area) however on upgrades like that on big projects like a pool or house the approach I like to take is this...I make sure to upgrade all of the things that will be hard/impossible/really expensive later and then if I have money left, start working on the rest. Upgraded finished would fall into the latter, whereas an autocover, multiple LED lights or extra benches would come first.

You haven't talked to my PB because he's a Hayward guy. I don't think you'll see too many complaints about Hayward equipment.

You don't need/want the Nature 2 system, just a standard Pentair/Hayward SWCG.

Our PB was Vista Pro Landscape and Design out of Davidsonville, MD. We were very pleased all things considered. They are a good choice if you have complex landscaping needs and/or want some fantastic rock work. We benefitted from their ability to provide a unique solution to a hilly site.

You can view our build from my signature.

I also encourage extremely detailed contracts and comparing the bottom line of apples to apples bids. It's the only thing that made the process manageable for me.

Best of luck!

James, the owner, is fantastic at discussing pool/landscape related options. He is an engineer first and all else second. Our designer Kristen may not be there any longer as she wanted to start her own business - but she was quite nice. He also has a good equipment startup guy (if he's using the same guy). He used to work for Hayward as the a director of service for a region and has stayed close with the company. He has his own pool service company and James contracts with him for that part.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.