Lost all chlorine overnight?

censored

Silver Supporter
Aug 12, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Hey guys, I have been reading a few posts and parts of the pool school and have decided after $180 at Leslie's and still a green pool that I am going to try this myself. Last week I had a full test at Leslie's and they found my CYA to be 20. I was prescribed 3 pounds of conditioner in a 19,000 gallon pool which I added a couple days ago. I have not yet been back for a water check, but started my shock process based off of what I think I have figured out here. Last night around 6 pm I was registering over 10 FC (My K-2006 is on order and not yet here so I don't know exact levels). This morning I checked with my standard kit and can not even get chlorine to register. Is it normal to lose that kind of chlorine overnight? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

signature test...

yes that is normal, because you really have no idea what your dealing with.. The pool store numbers are probably so far off that you really do not know what you have..

I wish you would not have put that CYA in the pool, they said CYA 20 but it could have been well over 100 depending on what you used to chlorinate.. don't worry, we will get you going now that you found us :)

Just put 1 gallon of bleach in your pool dailly unitl your k-2006 arrives and we can get good numbers. all this will do is keep the algae where it is and hopefully wont get any worse..

- - - Updated - - -

I see your signiture :)

Also, what did you use to chlorinate you pool up till now?

^^ Ditto! ^^ Casey's got you hooked-up with the perfect advice until that kit arrives. Try to stay patient until it gets in, and use this time to brush-up on the important references and links you see in our signatures. We'll help you better when you can post your OWN test numbers. Have a great day.

OK thanks Casey. I would not be surprised if the CYA was low, I lost chlorine pretty rapidly last summer which was my first year with the pool and only for a couple of months of swim season. My algae has gotten better from where it was but I think my filters are pretty shot, so I have some replacements being delivered today -- hopefully that helps as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tex, your signature was actually my inspiration for trying this on my own... I found it on several threads I was browsing!

Your filters a probably just fine, but another set is not a bad thing... the rreason you think your filters are shot is because all the algae is clogging them... once you get the new ones, pop them in there and clean the ones you have now, when your filter rpessure raises 25% then change to the other set of filters... continue doing this untill you SLAM is over :)

Jason: the kit I ordered is this one: Amazon.com : TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD : Swimming Pool Liquid Test Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden ... and yes, there has been a lot of organic material in the pool. I have a big tree by my pool that basically dumped half of itself in the pool during fall and by the time I could get to the leaves, it was already too late to see the bottom. I got an electronic leaf rake and my Polaris hasn't been picking up much lately, so I think I have that under control, but this algae has had a smorgasbord for some time now. Basically when I started the water was emerald green and I couldn't even see my first step. Now it is more like a steel blue and I can see my pool sweep in the shallow ends although murky. I am hoping the new filters will take out the dead stuff so I can really tell what I am working with.

Casey: before now I would use liquid chlorine and PoolRx

Thanks guys

that is awesome on the liquid chlorine, that makes me feel much better in regards to CYA... The PoolRX is not something you want to use, it is putting metals in you pool and you do not want that...

Now the bad part, the k-2006 may but probably not get you through this SLAM... you will use a lot of reagents during testing... it is a good kit, that is 1 we recomend it is just small, it would be fine if you were not dealing with a green monster..

I can't remeber if the TF100 xl option will work with your kit.. someone will be along and see this and let you know :)

I would think that for the SLAM itself, perhaps have an extra (XL option) of R-0870 (powder) and R-0871 (drops) handy to conduct your numerous/elevated FC tests and you should be fine. Most other tests come to a halt during the SLAM anyways. :) But instead of the Taylor (25mm) instructions, use the 10 ml testing to help make the reagents last longer. :)

10ml sample, multiply drop count by .5 (standard method) - saves a bit on reagent
25ml sample, multiply drop count by .2 (used for extreme precision) - reagent goes faster

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you guys know how fast TF Testkits ships? I went with the k-2006 because it was on Amazon and I can get it in a couple days. I can cancel the Amazon order but don't want to wait a week to get working.

They are fast to ship, but you are on the opposite side of the country ;)

poolsupplyworld.com is a west coast distributor for the TF-100, but they do not have the XL option. You could get the TF-100 from them and order extra FAS-DPD refills from tftestkits and you would have them by the time you need them.

Or just go with the K2006 you have on order and add the refills.

Taylor is in, here are the results!

I merged your threads together. Please keep related discussion together. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi all. I just received my Taylor and got straight to testing. It was actually a lot less intimidating than I thought it would be and actually kind of fun. I posted a thread a few days ago about the green pool I am battling. Here are the results:

FC: Did not register
PH: < 7
TA: 80
CH: 325
CYA: 50-55

At the advice of Leslie's I added some conditioner last weekend as I was < 20. Looks like that is in decent shape now, but I still cannot keep chlorine. I see that my PH is way out of whack, is it best to start there or get to SLAMing?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi JB, thanks for merging my thread. I have ordered the refills, should be here this weekend. Should I wait to SLAM until I have the reagents? I think I should have enough FC tests in a fresh kit to get me through the weekend if needed, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.