How to know if Cartridges are bad?

Sep 18, 2013
San Rafael, CA
I have an old neglected StaRite 3 cartridge system. How do I know when I should replace the cartridges? Do I replace both of them at the same time or only the inner vs outer (is one a pre-filter for the other)?

Per the pressure gauge on top (its a new one), the system is about 3 PSI when 'clean' and 5 PSI when I typically empty it. This is a new gauge that maxes out at ~15PSI.

Note that I have 1.5" intake & returns, so that may impact expected PSI rates. When I kick on the booster cleaner pump, the PSI drops by 1-1.5PSI or so. Per the flow check valve, it runs about 40GPM.

Thanks for the help on this great site!

Re: How to know if Cartirdges are bad?

the only time you "need" to change them is if they are ripped or the plastic is seperated on the bottom and top of the filter.. This all depends on you really, the outer filter if really dirty and a TSP cleaning does not bring it back to new it can be changed..

If you want to get new one's that is fine but you dont have to :)

****thanks Mark****

I changed TSP cleaning

Have you tried a TSP soak and then an acid soak?

I have not gone the TSP path & Acid soak yet.
I've had good results with a good hose out followed by 24hr Cascade soak + Borax mix - but not acid.
I didn't have a good container for the big ole Sta Rite 3 cartridge. I do now. It is a nested cartridge style filter. The inner cartridge has some discoloration around the top 1/3 or so (where it sticks above the larger cartridge).

Based on conversations with the previous homeowner, these cartridges could be more than 10 years old...she has no idea when they were replaced.

After my latest activities (AA treat + pool opening + SLAM), I was going to head that route. I wonder if this is why my mustard algae kept coming back.

What do people do with the acid water?

@mas985 - what brand is your 2sp pump?

I have not gone the TSP path & Acid soak yet.
I've had good results with a good hose out followed by 24hr Cascade soak + Borax mix - but not acid.
I didn't have a good container for the big ole Sta Rite 3 cartridge. I do now. It is a nested cartridge style filter. The inner cartridge has some discoloration around the top 1/3 or so (where it sticks above the larger cartridge).

Based on conversations with the previous homeowner, these cartridges could be more than 10 years old...she has no idea when they were replaced.

After my latest activities (AA treat + pool opening + SLAM), I was going to head that route. I wonder if this is why my mustard algae kept coming back.

What do people do with the acid water?

@mas985 - what brand is your 2sp pump?

Disregard question about the acidic water...duh...can just use some baking soda to neutralize. I do this with car batteries, why not this? heh...

If you do decide to get new cartridges for your filter check out Pleatco. I am very happy with mine, as are others. They have better flow, easier clean up, last longer between cleanings and they're cheaper!

^^^^ 100% agree, I love my pleatco filters.. I have 2 for my Spa 100sf filters I just have not made the purchase for the pool :)

that video is made by a guy who knows what he is talking about and does hundreds of reviews... like it says he has over 12 million views :)

That looks like a great kit to change to and also that is how most of the new filters are being made mine included...

good find :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
that video is made by a guy who knows what he is talking about and does hundreds of reviews... like it says he has over 12 million views :)

That looks like a great kit to change to and also that is how most of the new filters are being made mine included...

good find :)

I would agree - except now he is selling some stuff that he reviews on his site (- incl this I think). I've learned just about as much from that guy as I have on this site :cool:
Something about folks that start selling products who used to simply do reviews makes me doubt their integrity. I think it comes from being burned a few too many times from being duped by digital/internet shills. I am not suggesting that he is now a shill, but now I will wonder if he is advocating a product for profit. I know, everyone needs to make a buck, but that is something I have a hard time reconciling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.