Sun Sail vs Gazebo? Thoughts?

Jul 12, 2015
Ooltewah, TN
Okay gang, we have a large deck, no problem. Just don't have the $$$$ to build a solid structure. That will be down the road.
So we are looking at Sun Sails which look cool, with 3 large post, or just a big box store gazebo. We can easily do a 10x12' gazebo, but more expensive and more upkeep, but seem to cover more as well, even in an afternoon shower.

Thoughts?

We bought this from Lowes a couple of weeks ago for $500. It got very good reviews and we also bought a spare canopy. Reviews indicate the canopy should last 3-4 years, so with the spare, we may get 8 years out of it. Not bad for $600 total.
It also has insect screening which can be opened or fully enclosed. You can't get that with a sun sail.
We had considered a sun-sail but the post installation would be expensive and not sure how it would stand up to high winds. There is a you-tube video of the gazebo we bought in some rough winds and it seemed to be coping remarkably well.

I've seen two sun sails used sharing two of three post and using different cable length between them. The third corner can be attached to a building or go to the ground.

We bought this from Lowes a couple of weeks ago for $500. It got very good reviews and we also bought a spare canopy. Reviews indicate the canopy should last 3-4 years, so with the spare, we may get 8 years out of it. Not bad for $600 total.

My brother has one of these, they are great! I looked at a bunch of different ones and this one is by far the best for that price bracket.

I'm ordering mine in a few weeks.

It also has insect screening which can be opened or fully enclosed. You can't get that with a sun sail.
We had considered a sun-sail but the post installation would be expensive and not sure how it would stand up to high winds. There is a you-tube video of the gazebo we bought in some rough winds and it seemed to be coping remarkably well.

One of those came with my house. The canopy was pretty shot, so I bought a new one. They did not have it attached to the ground, and it gets picked up and moved around the deck in high winds.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of those came with my house. The canopy was pretty shot, so I bought a new one. They did not have it attached to the ground, and it gets picked up and moved around the deck in high winds.

Any idea how old it was when you acquired it?

I anchored ours to the concrete deck at the front but the back is on gravel so I attached it to a couple of trees using ratchet straps. Plan is to extend the concrete decking and have it all anchored to concrete.

Any idea how old it was when you acquired it?

I anchored ours to the concrete deck at the front but the back is on gravel so I attached it to a couple of trees using ratchet straps. Plan is to extend the concrete decking and have it all anchored to concrete.

No idea how old it is. It shows up on the google satellite picture, but that is less then a year old. Other then the roof fabric falling apart its in very good shape and still really solid.

My neighbor had the same one and the cloth didn't last very long, but that's in the Tucson sun..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.