Layout Day Should Be Renamed Let Down Day!

divaofsongs

Bronze Supporter
Mar 25, 2016
Buckeye, AZ (Phoenix Area)
I am having a 75' perimeter free-form pool built in my back yard and this morning was layout day. I feel so let down, not only was the excitement over in about 10 minutes, but the drawn out pool looks so much smaller than I had imagined. 27' X 15' looks a lot bigger when you measure it out on the inside of your house than it does staring at it in the backyard when it is drawn out in red spray paint!

I have to be honest with you, I was expecting more excitement...I feel like I was ripped off a little.....it was over before it started! Within 10 minutes they were in and out of our back yard. Tomorrow is dig day! I hope I can get more excitement out of tomorrow because today was a dud! LOL

Did anyone else think their drawn out pool looked smaller than they had imagined?

You said your neighbor had a pool built almost identical... if its the same size, go look at her finished pool and see how it looks. It may reassure you?

Or as I suggested in your other thread- call the PB today and see if he can give you a couple more feet??

You definitely want to make sure that it's what you want. Pretty soon, there's no turning back. Maybe have another sit-down with your builder or sales rep? You need to be happy, and a good company will also want you happy for future referrals.

I am having a 75' perimeter free-form pool built in my back yard and this morning was layout day. I feel so let down, not only was the excitement over in about 10 minutes, but the drawn out pool looks so much smaller than I had imagined. 27' X 15' looks a lot bigger when you measure it out on the inside of your house than it does staring at it in the backyard when it is drawn out in red spray paint!

I have to be honest with you, I was expecting more excitement...I feel like I was ripped off a little.....it was over before it started! Within 10 minutes they were in and out of our back yard. Tomorrow is dig day! I hope I can get more excitement out of tomorrow because today was a dud! LOL

Did anyone else think their drawn out pool looked smaller than they had imagined?

Yes, without stretching it, about 99% of pool owners feel this way at your stage. This is an illusion that fools nearly everyone.

I felt the same way before they built my house and had only staked the boundaries. The 2D flatness doesn't give it justice :) You can always go a bit bigger tho if you're worried! Don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining about their pool being *too* large.

I felt the same way before they built my house and had only staked the boundaries. The 2D flatness doesn't give it justice :) You can always go a bit bigger tho if you're worried! Don't think I've ever heard of someone complaining about their pool being *too* large.

There is no such thing as too big! :)

Yes, without stretching it, about 99% of pool owners feel this way at your stage. This is an illusion that fools nearly everyone.

That is good to know. My husband and I used a long tape measure and measured it out in our living room/dining room and we thought it was HUGE! Hopefully the excavated hole will look much bigger.

You said your neighbor had a pool built almost identical... if its the same size, go look at her finished pool and see how it looks. It may reassure you?

Or as I suggested in your other thread- call the PB today and see if he can give you a couple more feet??

Yes, her pool is perfect size. I think it is just the illusion and because right now I can only stare through the window at it since my wheel chair ramp broke yesterday and I cannot get out there right now. Looking forward to the dig tomorrow.

You definitely want to make sure that it's what you want. Pretty soon, there's no turning back. Maybe have another sit-down with your builder or sales rep? You need to be happy, and a good company will also want you happy for future referrals.

I am pretty sure my sales guy is ready to string me up by my toes.......every day I email him with at least 1 or 2 questions, lol. I would not be surprised if he directed my emails to the spam folder! I can truly try one's patience, that is for sure. I just called and left him a message, I am going to ask about adding on another 5 ft.

I recall my pool being HUGE (it isnt) after it was excavated.

So yours was the opposite. Maybe after the excavation it will look big to me. I hope so.

I am pretty sure my sales guy is ready to string me up by my toes.......every day I email him with at least 1 or 2 questions, lol. I would not be surprised if he directed my emails to the spam folder! I can truly try one's patience, that is for sure. I just called and left him a message, I am going to ask about adding on another 5 ft.

Haha, good to hear I'm not the only one driving my PB mad! I've already made mine go through two design changes, and I'm holding off on asking for a 3rd adjustment before final design signing. I'm also pretty computer nerdy, so I downloaded a separate pool build program and made my own 3D designs just to torture him with minutiae about pool depths and pool steps dimensions :evil: That's all on top of the multitude of question emails I've sent him and 2 long office visits. I'm pretty sure he hates me now.

Good for you on adding the 5 ft! I don't think you'll be disappointed :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, don't forget, from your description, the lines on the ground are only the pool. You still have the area around the pool to consider. That can make a small pool look big and a big pool look small. It's all in the proportions.

I was told we have a BIG pool (116' perimeter) in which it is big. But when they did the spray paint I thought to myself, "that doesn't seem that big....." But the next day when they dug it out I saw WOW... MUCH bigger than I had anticipated. Much bigger than what they spray paint looked on the grass. Also, as others have said, once the decking/landscaping goes in it will look bigger too.

But, I would call your PB and ask what it would cost to go a more feet each way. Or look at your neighbors if they have a similar pool and ask yourself if you would be happy with that size.

Best of luck!

I had the same thoughts when mine was sprayed out on the ground, I immediately asked how much to increase the size by 1 foot around the whole thing. They told me $700, and I told them let's do it. It does look bigger when dug out, but I'm happy with my choice of increasing the size. Good luck with your build!

Due to yard constraints my pool could only be 7' wide for most of it. I was worried it would be too small to use and even when they started it looked a little small. Of course, now I look and it is turned out great for the space. I think I was more concerned about "what the %#$# did I get myself into" when I saw what my yard looked like after the sod was torn out and the hole dug. In retrospect, it was a great decision but until everything was done I am going to be honest, I had my doubts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.