Will going to a SWG kill my heater?

Oct 13, 2014
DFW Texas
I have been considering going to a SWG. I have 2 reservations.

1- I dont like the salty taste of the water..... however, I probably should be keeping the pool water out of my mouth anyway so this isn't a deal breaker.
2- I am worried about my Heater.

at face value, Salt causes more corrosion, one would think... However chlorine is pretty bad as well.

Is going to a SWG going to rust out my heater core?

As far as the taste goes, it is not much. About like the taste of tears. When I first jump in the pool, if I think about it, I can just taste the salt. After a couple of minutes I don't notice it at all.

Jim R.

At 3600ppm, your water will be 10X less concentrated than sea water and you'll hardly be able to detect the salt by taste.

Salt does not CAUSE corrosion it only ENHANCES certain forms of corrosion (eg, crevice corrosion). The primary driver of corrosion in a heater is pH. Properly balanced water is the best defense against heater core corrosion. I have an SWG and a heater and my equipment is just fine.

If you've been using bleach or any chlorine product, chances are your water already has at least a 1000ppm or more of salt in it as all chlorine products and muriatic acid adds salt to your water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I wouldn't be concerned about that. There are many more complaints about SWG pools and erosion of natural stone features than problems with metal corrosion. That can be an issue in hot dry climates like yours and mine. It's also particular to softer stone like they commonly use in Texas.

JoyfulNoise is correct. I have been manually adding bleach for about 7 months and just recently converted to SWG. I was anticipating having to add 12 bags of salt to get to 3200ppm recommended level for my SWG. But after testing my pool was already at 1400ppm for salt just on bleach addition alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.