Help with all numbers!

Happy Easter everyone! I'm working on my pool today which has never been properly balanced. I need help mainly with the order to do things.
I need to Slam but can't maintain the FC due to 0 Cya created mainly from flooding here. I have purchased the Cya and will add that today so that my chlorine will hold better. Here are my other problems :
PH: 6.8
TA: 20
After entering all info in the calculator, I'm advised to add Borax, Baking soda, and stabilizer. In what order do these need to be added and should they be spaced out? Is correcting one potentially going to raise or lower the other? Am I correct to think CYA first so my chlorine will hold? Also do I add CYA in a sock in front of return or inside skimmer basket? Again, thanks so very much for helping this new pool owner!

Either way adding Cya is fine, but get that started. Don't add the borates yet, or maybe ever as those are optional.

Next If you're sure of the TA of 20, you'll need the baking soda. It may raise your pH a touch, but not enough to interfere with the SLAM. No special order to follow or worry adding any of these one after the other in your situation.

Yes, add 30ppm of CYA in a sock. Use soda ash to raise your TA and it will also raise your PH. Raise your TA to about 60 and your PH to 7.2 prior to the SLAM. Your PH is possibly lower than 6.8 so mix the pool water for 30 minutes and test again until it holds at 7.2. Take the TA up to maybe 40 the first time and then retest in 30 minutes and dose again to 60. When PH and TA is extremely low, as it is now, the recommended numbers in Poolmath are not as accurate. PH is measured in an algorithmic scale and the farther your get from center the greater the separation.

Read this page on pool chemicals on what they are and how to add them, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

It gives you the soda ash info under PH. And you can look a little lower in effects of adding chemicals and enter different amounts of soda ash and it will tell you how much it will raise PH and TA.

baking soda will do the same exact thing and you probably already have that :) that is the wonderful thing about TFP, we give you many ways to do things

My apologies, I wasn't thinking about you being below 6.8.

DV is right, your pH may be below 6.8. So get "pH up" at the pool section, or pool store...or Washing Soda in the Laundry Isle. Both of these are Soda Ash. Add it until the pH is 7.2. Add in increments according to Pool Math starting with 6.8 pH.

You'll likely have to add more times until it's right.

Using Soda Ash to increase the pH will bring the TA up as well, so don't worry about having to adjust it too.

It will be taken care of well enough for the SLAM just by doing this for the pH increase. Once you are done with the SLAM, you can worry about checking TA again then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.