Calcium adding to a vinyl pool

Mar 27, 2016
Baton rouge, la
I'm new to pool ownership. I have a 16X32 vinyl liner pool. I have some stains and wanted to remove them, when I took my sample to pool store they said my calcium was to low 50 ppm and I needed to add some "calcium hardness increaser". They want me to add 25#'s of this not all at once but over a few hours. I started reading about this process and some people said never add calcium to a vinyl liner, I also spoke to a friend who has had a vinyl liner pool for 10 years and she said she never add calcium. Please help, thanks in advance Sue

First, welcome to the forum!

It's optional in vinyl really. It won't hurt to have soft water in there, because the plastic won't dissolve or corrode like plaster can. Stains and metals are a seperate issue.

Before spending money on a kit, if you have a chlorine puck sitting around that you could hold against the stain and see if it lifted it, and likewise some run of the mill vitamin C tablets held against the stain.

If the puck lightens it it is an organic stain. If the Vitamin C works, its a metal stain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.