Dedicated vacuum line? Necessary?

Jun 26, 2014
Peoria, AZ
My PB says we do not need a dedicated vacuum port when we have 2 skimmers and in ground floor cleaners (and not even a vacuum at all he says!). Seems a lot of people use their vacuums though, and I thought I might need it as a back up one day. Arizona can sometimes get these awful, apocalyptic-like dust storms known as "haboobs" (no joke, look it up), and I'm not sure if the infloors and skimmers alone could manage after something like that and I may need an emergency vacuum??

So is a vacuum line necessary? What about the vacuum equipment itself, can I get by on infloors, skimmers and a brush?

phoenix-8-11-15.jpg
THE HABOOOOOOOOOB IS COMING!

Or just run a vacuum through the skimmer as you will only need it once in a while.

Unless he is talking about a pressure side cleaner which would need an extra port. If that is what he is talking about and you already have the in-floor, I would opt against as a vacuum through the skimmer port will take care of your needs and will be very cheap in comparison.

100% agree, a cheap skimmer port vacuum would work great if only needed 1 or 2 times a year... You may find robots are the new thing :)

I do just fine with a cheap manual vacuum (Lowes) connected to my skimmer. Just be sure you have a way to close off the second skimmer while you're vacuuming from the first. When my filter is freshly backwashed, I get too much suction and have to crack the three-way valve to draw some water from the spa while I vacuum otherwise the vacuum head gets sucked flat against the floor and won't roll. If you ever have to clean up after a haboob, a manual vacuum can do it, no problem. Your filter will load up in no time, but you probably know that already.

A dedicated line is just more plumbing you don't need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.