New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

Jul 10, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
Well after almost 2 years of planning, designing, saving and doubting, we finally broke ground last week. First there was some demo work on an existing piece of patio on Tuesday, then dug on Wednesday and rebar on Thursday. The plan for Monday is to finish rough-in and fix the leading edge of the tanning ledge (needs to move back about 3”). Shotcrete shoot is scheduled for Tuesday at 10:30. However, well before last week, I spent a good bit of time laying out the outline, which consisted of:

1. Constructing reference boards in a cross pattern off the edges of the house
  2. Using reference boards to mark 20 arc center points and 2 start/end points of each arc
  3. Spraying 20 arcs and 10-12 various other reference points for benches, rock areas, etc.

So here are the details of the build along with plans (no dimensions for clarity) and pictures below of the progress so far.

530 sq. ft. (14,350 Gal.) Chlorine + Ozone Shotcrete Pool w/ Spray-Deck Decking, Flagstone Coping, Waterfall and Slide

Pool & Coping

• Shotcrete Pool Shell w/ Diamond Brite Plaster
  • Tanning Ledge, Bench Seat @ Waterfall Wall, Bench Seat near Tanning Deck, Bench Seat in Deep End
  • 6” Ceramic Tile @ Water Line (~100 linear ft.)
  • Multiblend Flagstone Coping (~115 sq. ft.)
Decking
  • Demo and removal of 200 sq. ft. of existing concrete patio
  • 5" thick concrete decking with metal wire reinforcement and Spray-Deck (Egg Shell) surface (450 sq. ft.)
  • Spray-Deck Addition to Existing Concrete Patio (430 sq. ft.)
  • Install Customer-Supplied (8) 2" Umbrella Sleeves in new decking (3) 2" Umbrella Sleeves in existing concrete (prior to adding Spray-Deck), (5) 2" Umbrella Sleeves in pool, and (1) Anchor Tube in new decking for basketball goal
Waterfall, Rock Walls & Slide
  • 5.5 ft. high x 5 ft. wide Rock Waterfall (Creek Rock, Moss Boulders, Moss Builders, Flagstone, etc. but No Plants or Mulch) extending down into pool
  • 21" High x 12" Wide Left Rock Wall and Right Rock Wall w/ Moss Builders extending down into pool.
  • Sloped Front Rock Wall (providing 12" high railing on outside of Steps with natural irregular slope)
  • Sloped Back Rock Wall (providing 12" high railing on outside of Steps with natural irregular slope)
  • Rocks for Slide Steps: Small Creek Rock for Vertical Side. Flagstone Treads for Horizontal Side.
  • Moss Builders extending down into pool at 2 Planters ”Eyes” in decking
  • Backfill and Shotcrete for Waterfall & Slide
  • Dolphin 15'-6" Right Turn Slide
Equipment
  • (2) Pentair (Sta-Rite) IntelliPro XF VS Pumps w/ Union Connectors
  • Pentair CCP520 Filter
  • Pentair 521213 IntelliTouch Load Center (customer to provide 100A supply for tie-in)
  • Pentair 521223 i5+3S Personality Kit
  • DEL Ozone EC-20 (w/ injection manifold)
  • Pentair R171096 Rainbow 300 Off-Line Chlorine Feeder
  • Pentair 520500 ScreenLogic2 IntelliTouch and EasyTouch Systems iPhone/PC Interface Kit
  • (5) Jandy 2", 2-Way Valves (Model 4716)
  • (1) Jandy 2”, 3-Way Valve (Model 4717) w/ Intermatic PE24VA Valve Actuator
  • (3) FlowVis 2.5" x 2" Flow Meters/Check Valves (Model FV-C)
  • Concrete pad (18'-10" x 3'-2" x 5") for pool equipment & storage
  • Dolphin S300i Robotic Pool Cleaner
Lights & Electrical
  • (3) Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED Pool Lights
  • (2) Pentair GloBrite LED Lights
  • (4) VOLT Underwater Forged Brass Lights for Waterfall
  • (3) VOLT Top Dog Brass Downlights for Steps mounted on stone railing up to slide
  • 50' of 12 Gauge Underground Rated Low Voltage (12V) Wiring routed to "Eyes" for future landscape lighting tie-in.
  • 75' of 10 Gauge Underground Rated Low Voltage (12V) Wiring routed to Junct. Box, then to Planters for future landscape lighting tie-in. Provide access to Junct. Box near bottom of Back Wall for future palm tree lighting tie-in.
Pool Plumbing
  • (2) Skimmers w/ 10" Skimmer Kit by PourALid
  • (6) Pool Returns
  • Dual Main Drain, Waterfall Suction & Return Lines, Slide Return Line w/ (1) Jandy 2" Check Valve
  • Slide Wash Line w/ (1) 1" Check Valve connecting to irrigation valve
  • (1) Hose Spigot taken off Slide Wash Line
  • (1) Pentair T40-FBK Auto Fill/Leveler (Black), w/ (1) 1" Check Valve tied into irrigation valve
Drainage
  • 190 ft. of 4", SDR35 PVC piping & associated fittings
  • 6 ft. of 6", SDR35 PVC piping & associated fittings
  • Four (4) NDS 12" x 12” Catch Basins w/ Flat Grate
  • Two (2) NDS 9" x 9” Catch Basins w/ Flat Grate (in Planters)
  • Three (3) 4” Hidden Drains by PourALid (near Tanning Ledge)
  • Provide drain on equipment pad for future heat pump
Miscellaneous
  • Outdoor shower near equipment pad

WOW, looks like it is going to be great! More pics! More pics!

Just one thing...... we don't recommend wasting money on Ozone doohickeys. They don't really provide anything in an outdoor pool. Think of the Ozone generator as being a "lunchbox" and the water goes thru there. The *only* water that is treated is the water in that "lunchbox" at that moment. The rest of the pool can still be full of cooties that can be spread and shared before they ever make it thru the "lunchbox" treatment plant.

I see you have a puck feeder planned. Pucks are handy for use during vacations away but continual use has its own set of problems. Have you considered using a Salt Water Generator (SWG) instead? Or dosing with liquid bleach?

Please dabble your tootsies into Pool School while your pool is under construction. Holler back with any questions. We want you to love your pool as much as we love ours.

Just one thing...... we don't recommend wasting money on Ozone doohickeys. They don't really provide anything in an outdoor pool. Think of the Ozone generator as being a "lunchbox" and the water goes thru there. The *only* water that is treated is the water in that "lunchbox" at that moment. The rest of the pool can still be full of cooties that can be spread and shared before they ever make it thru the "lunchbox" treatment plant.

I see you have a puck feeder planned. Pucks are handy for use during vacations away but continual use has its own set of problems. Have you considered using a Salt Water Generator (SWG) instead? Or dosing with liquid bleach?

Yes I have read lots of info on this site and other sites regarding Ozone, Chlorine (Cl), SWG's, Copper, etc. over the past 2 years. Due to the amount of natural stone present, I don't feel comfortable using a SWG. Copper has it's own set of problems. I also understand the potential increase in CYA using Cl pucks over time, which is why I have planned to be able to add a liquid Cl & Stenner pump injection system (but not to start). Unfortunately, my daughter has always had bad reactions to pools with Cl (and yes, I understand they may have all just been poorly maintained, but maybe not). So since the DEL EC-20 ozone system isn't that much more to add, I really want to try it out to see if the claims about using less Cl are true. If they are, then I figure using pucks at a reduced rate may not present a CYA problem, but we'll see, right?

Please dabble your tootsies into Pool School while your pool is under construction. Holler back with any questions. We want you to love your pool as much as we love ours.

I've actually read all the info about a year ago when I was trying to decide on a sanitation method, but it wouldn't hurt to get a refresher maybe a little closer to fill time. Thanks for looking out!

You have plenty of ozone in the big orange sun (free at that :)) and Ozone eats or uses chlorine, that is why chlorine use is always higher during the day and why we have everyone do an overnight chlorine loss test to see if there is algae in the pool.. This is why we do not recommend ozone in an outdoor pool, now I do have one in my hot tub and yes it does eat chlorine, but I also have a SWG in there continually adding chlorine so I am good... While we do not reccomend ozone we are not against its use, just use it the best way..
"So since the DEL EC-20 ozone system isn't that much more to add, I really want to try it out to see if the claims about using less Cl are true." You will actually need more chlorine, how much more you will need to test to know for sure. Like below, know that ozone may add combined chlorine to your DPD test, my ozone does not add much CC at all as it is not very big, it just depends on the size of the generator.

Here is someone doing tests on ozone about 8 years ago I been doing some experiment

A stenner pump is a great solution but I would replace the ozone with your stenner setup...

"I have planned to be able to add a liquid Cl & Stenner pump injection system (but not to start)"
this is a good idea but the time it takes to reach your CYA switch from pucks to stenner is not years but sometime within about 2 months (depends on how many pucks or shock you pool builder uses the first 30 days) you may be at 30 or 40 CYA at the end of 30 days and you would need to start using your stenner setup at that time..

SWG: I will never have another pool or spa without one EVER :) Because you are building now, you could get stone that is "SWG" proof, meaning hard stone, they have hard flagstone and there are people on here using soft flagstone with no issues "so far" in 20, 30 or 40 years there may be an issue but only time will tell.. you should get enough rain for this to be a non issue, salt water on stone is more of a problem when there is no rain or wash away, florida has the best area for this but I think your area gets a constant supply of rain every week or 2..

I hope this helps with some of your options :)

Nice pool! Something for everyone!

It looks like you have done your research. That is the corner stone of TFP-------knowing what you are doing with and putting in your pool. So long as you have a good test kit of your own and keep an eye on your water's chemicals and levels you should not have any problems. IF you do at least you know where to come for more answers.

Kim

I agree with Casey completely on never having another pool that isn't saltwater. We have flagstone and no appreciable change in 4 years. Saltwater also makes the water softer and easier on the skin. The real thing that makes chlorine (of any kind) a non-issue with skin and eyes is the chlorine/CYA ratio. As long as the chlorine level is maintained properly to your CYA level there will be no irritation from chlorine ever. Chlorine CYA Chart.

I remember your being here researching over the last year or so. I don't want to inundate you with more of the same info. And I understand that you probably want to try it for yourself to be sure. It is a big step.

People are always commenting and amazed at how nice our water is and how they can open their eyes underwater with no irritation at all. And that is normally with chlorine level at about 10ppm. I raise the level a bit when we are going to swim all weekend with friends. My CYA level is usually 70 ppm. There have been times when I am SLAMing the pool and we swim with the chlorine level at 25 ppm or so and we can't even tell it is high at all. Ridiculous I know. Anyone who didn't know better would think we are crazy! :crazy: But, that is how much proper chlorine/cya ratio will buffer the harsh effects of chlorine. It will also make your swimsuits last a lot longer.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Don't get me wrong, I see the advantages/disadvantages/risks associated with all of these methods. We do get plenty of rain here in southern Louisiana, so that is a plus for SWG and stone, which I may end up converting to one day if the chlorine system (whether it be pucks, liquid or one of these combined with ozone) causes too many problems for our swimmers, especially our little ones. BUT, if I can make some type of non-SWG system work, I would prefer it so that I'm not constantly worrying about inspecting all my rocks (and there will be many) for salt attack every time I walk out there (and I would)...I guess it's a peace of mind thing.

You're right pooldv, I'm one of those that has to see things for myself. If the ozone system goes south, there's always Ebay or TFP I guess, but maybe I'll at least be able to post some clear comparison results of using ozone with chlorine vs. straight chlorine for others to benefit from. The ozone experiment linked above by Casey was honestly pretty confusing to me (and the experimenter too at times :D), and didn't seem like the control case, variables and test methods were very reliable.

Anyway, the good news is that I've designed my pad layout to accommodate any of these sanitation methods, so that I'm not committed to one over the other for eternity. Thanks again for the warnings and first hand experiences. All good information to take into consideration. At this point, I'm trying my hardest to avoid any changes...my PB (and I) have dealt with quite enough up to this point. :lol:

Sounds like you are going about this with yours eye's wide open and that is a great thing, I went back and read through it and found it confusing also.. that was not the one I found before :)

You sound just like me and do lots of research and then see where your decisions land you :) Keep the pictures coming, we love pictures

Looks great only thing I would do different is add another set of small steps by the steps up to the slide, kids take every shortcut they can to get back to slides and diving boards, as itis they will likely be climbing out on that bench anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great only thing I would do different is add another set of small steps by the steps up to the slide, kids take every shortcut they can to get back to slides and diving boards, as itis they will likely be climbing out on that bench anyway.

Isaac, I thought about that, and still might add a little raised step on the far left side of the bench by the steps to the slide. However, since they'll be entering the pool in the deep end from the slide, that's why we added the "swimout" step in front of the bench in the deep end. Also, if they decide to swim to the tanning ledge instead, I would think that would be quicker than swimming all the way back to the slide steps bench. For the first time up though, I can see adding a small little raised portion on the end of that bench. I'll have to think about that some more (before Tuesday when they shoot). Might also be a good way to get back in the pool when basketballs go flying b/c there will be a goal right by that light on the far left too.

We have benches in the deep end corners. They are the way to exit the pool from that end and when diving. Our PB actually talked us out of putting a step on each bench. As it turns out, though yes it may make the exit a little easier, it is VERY easy to exit via a bench. I've done it hundreds of times and my kids probably thousands. For kids say 6 and under, they may be more of a benefit. We also have no physical issues to deal with that might make it more helpful. And, in our case, the benches are in corners, so if I had the step, it would have prevented me from sitting chest high in water lengthwise on the bench and leaning back on the pool wall. Turns out I love to do that - who knew. I'm glad my designer made that simple suggestion which worked well for us. But every pool and set of circumstances is different.

Thanks for that insight and first hand experience. I was thinking the same thing. Having a step at the end of the bench might actually be more of a hazard than it's worth. Like you said, it shouldn't be that difficult to exit from the 14" deep benches, which you confirmed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: Speaking of that wonderful rain we get plenty of down here, we got rain all day yesterday (Easter Sunday). No major cave-ins, but lots of running around. First my PB ran out here while we were at church to get a sump pump in the deep end b/c apparently one of his guys didn't do so the night before. Then, later that evening when we got home from Easter activities with my family we realized the pump quit working, so I had to go back and borrow one from my Dad, which worked like a charm fortunately, but not before some chunks of wall and ledge/benches fell off (oh well). What was funny was I was messing with the pump from up above and before I knew it my wife had put on her rubber boots and was in there walking on the rebar to go inspect the pump. She's the best!

Anyway, the crew came to clean up a bit today, but the main reason they came was to trim back the tanning ledge and bench edges in the shallow end a bit that were a little off (regardless of the rain...in fact the rain actually helped a bit). Unfortunately, they also had to remove some sections of rebar to do this, but the ledge definitely looks better and is the right length now.
The plan for tomorrow is shotcrete @ 10:30, assuming the rain will hold out long enough (chance of T-storms in early afternoon). :sunny: And I really hope it holds out b/c the rest of the week looks like a wash out (fingers crossed). Will they shoot if it looks like rain later in the day? Should I be worried if starts to rain while they're shooting?

Here are some pictures of the rain excitement and edge fixes.

LOL Good job wife on jumping in to help! Buy the lady a drink!

Not sure about the rain right after the shoot...........I hope they will not do it if it could cause problems. I know some people are told to wait until the next day to start watering the gunite.

Kim

Well, the rain held out and they were able to shoot today. Unfortunately, my surveillance HDD had amnesia today (I'm really mad about that :grrrr:), so I wasn't able to get consistent progress pics. I did however take plenty of phone pics, which are posted below and will have to do. The panoramic shots at the end came out pretty nice I think.

I have to say the crew was really nice to work with and were pretty patient with my detailed nature.

LOVE it! Fits great in the area. Those panorama pics did come out great! Thanks for sharing!

Now to start bonding with it-------watering it! Are the kids big enough to help with that? They will love it the first time or two.

You are getting close. Do you have your test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the one we use and love. If your PB has said they give you one ask which one and let us know so we can fill in the holes if it is not the best one.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.