CYA Test Clarification

Apr 28, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I received my TFT Test kit today. Super fast service! I only just ordered it the day before yesterday!

Anyway, I need some clarification on the CYA testing instructions. It says to "Fill the Red-capped CYA mixing bottle to the bottom line with the pool water. Now, fill the bottle to the top line with R-0013." There are no lines on my bottle other than the label. Are those the lines being referred to? The bottom and top of the label? I just want make sure cuz I don't want to waste any of my chemicals if I don't have to. :lol:

Thanks!

Congratulations on your new TF100 test kit. You will love it.....and yes, they ship fast!

Yes, use the bottom and top of the label as your line.

Also, instruction are actually printed ON my label. Have you checked your bottle?

Also, instruction are actually printed ON my label. Have you checked your bottle?

Yes, but I didn't notice instructions on the bottle, however, they are on the inside lid of the container holding the kit.

Here's a handy link for the CYA test if you haven't already seen this...

I have not seen that. Thank you.

So I performed the first CYA test this morning. The black dot did not disappear until the tube was full. So does that essentially mean I have no CYA?

Correct. It's always possible that you have less than 20 and it's registering as zero. So when you are adding CYA, undershoot your target by 20 so you don't go over, and then wait a week, and retest, and then if you have to add more you can. :wink:

Here are my latest levels from this morning's test:

FC: 21.5
CC: 0
TC: 21.5
pH: 7.8
TA: 140
CH: 100
CYA: 80

My chlorine levels were previously high, so I turned off the SWG. After about 2 weeks I got FC/TC down to 4.5, so I turned it back on. In one week, it shot up to 21.5, which is higher than what it was before I turned off the SWG. So I'm wondering if I have an extremely efficient SWG or if there is a problem with it. I have the percentage set to 45% and the pump runs on high 8 hours a day. The rest of the time it runs on low, but I'm fairly certain the SWG doesn't generate on low. Does that high of a jump in chlorine level in one week sound reasonable? Is it just a matter of finding the right balance of pump run time and SWG percentage setting?

Also, on 5/3, I added muriatic acid to bring down my TA level. By 5/13 it was down to 130 from 200 and the pH dropped to from 7.8 to 6.8. The pH has since gone back up to 7.8, however, the TA went to 140 the following week and has not moved since. Is it time to add more muriatic acid? I aerate the water with the stair jets and the Polaris pool cleaner.

Thanks!

It might be hooked up either way, but it is more common for the SWG to run any time the pump is on, rather than only when the pump is on high.

If the SWG is running 24 hours a day, the FC increase you saw is to be expected. You just need to turn the percentage down significantly. The best thing to do is to test the FC level every other day, at the same time of day each time, preferably in the evening. If the FC is higher than you want turn the percentage down, if the FC is lower than you want turn the percentage up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.