Test results today:

FC=8.0
CC=0
ph=7.6
TA=90
CH=250

Added two caps of Phos (that I already have)

Did a full brush and the water continues to look great. No pucks, just Clorox or liquid chlorine which by the way is on sale at Orchard Supply Hardware for $5.60 for two gallons.

Comments, suggestions? Thanks.

Hello Frank! Your CC, pH, TA and CH look good. I don't know if your FC is correct because I don't see a current CYA. Did you test CYA today? That would be helpful if you have it. Also, are these just regular daily tests or are you currently performing a "SLAM" for green/cloudy water? Just wanted to make sure. :)

Sorry, CYA was 80 today. Getting better. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Water looks great. This is my "big" weekly test that I augment daily with the smaller kit or strips that I have. I haven't "slammed" ever and have not "shocked" for a long time. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Full test today with following results:
FC=9.0
CC=0
ph=7.5
TA=100
CH=250
CYA=90

...although, when I do the regular test for CYA it shows 150'ish so I went to the alternative method, mixing tap water with pool water and it indicates 90 or even a little less. I hope I'm doing it right. Everything else is good, the water looks great. Comments/Suggestions please? Thanks.

You're right, I forgot that step. So, I'm still screwed as far as CYA is concerned. I really can't drain anymore than I have without emptying the pool and in California, we can't do that. I have drained, we've had rain, sun...everything and it still is out of sight. I wasn't smart enough to counter what Leslie's was telling me and I was "shocking" every week after our renovation last year. I guess I will just keep the FC level high with bleach/liquid chlorine and watch it closely. Thanks for your help.

Not a problem. It's what we are here for. One of our long term members and experts, once had a CYA of 250!! He was able to get it down over time and with careful planning. I believe he collected rain water from his gutters. Also, you can do the thing where you water the plants with the pool and then fill the pool from the house.

Just do everything you can to avoid an algae breakout. That's the key. Over time, if you're not adding any more CYA, it'll come down as water is splashed out and the rain falls, you just have to be very vigilant about keeping the correct (or higher) FC level at all times because trying to SLAM with that high a CYA sounds like an expensive proposition!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Watch out for "chlorine lock" if your CYA gets too high.

Mod note: There is no such thing as "chlorine lock". That is pool store talk for "we sold you too much stuff that makes your CYA. So now you have to drain your wter to get the CYA down." Kim

That's what the pool stores tell people when their CYA is too high. It doesn't mean anything.

High CYA doesn't affect any other tests.

I would really look at running drain pipes from your gutters into the pool (with knee highs on the end) so at least you can take advantage of as much rain as possible.

Thanks. We're just about at the end of the rainy season so I'll have all summer to figure out how to do that. I have watered plants and washed cars by hooking up a hose to the filter but it's slow going and leaves a residue on the cars. Plants alive so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Will look into "overnight test".

Did the Overnight FC Loss Test. FC=9.0 at sundown and 9.0 before sunrise. No loss so I'll keep watching and bleaching. Just did a full sweep and all looks good. BTW, I never included my spa in the gallonage number. It's 7' diameter by 3.5' depth so, another 1400 gallons? Should I override the gallon number at top of Pool Math? Thanks.

Paranoid yes, but has anyone seen this kind of stuff in the morning?
760c190c7fdc567a4de32de8288d22ff.jpg
82d64f9438812466af318c38571f5200.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.