SLAM Process

SavannahDan

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 19, 2015
Savannah GA
I am currently doing the SLAM process on my pool. I had a lot of green algae when the cover was removed. I balanced the pool chemicals first. PH to 7.5, CYA to 70, TA to 70, hardness to 250(nothing added) and slowly brought chlorine level to 4.5 prior to SLAM. I put in roughly 15 gallons of bleached (approximately 30 hours ago) and attained a level of 28.0. 24 hour loss was a total of 3.0 and I added additional bleach to maintain the 28.0 level. I will be checking it until I have no noticeable loss and then give it the 24 hour period test. My question is, my pool has a lot of foam and the water is still very cloudy. I can hardly see the bottom in the shallow end. How long should I give this process until I start to see some improvement in both clarity and no foam?

A SLAM takes as long as it takes ;)

I am not sure what the 24 hour period you are are talking about. You need to pass the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, and have clear water, and have low CC levels to know when you are done with the SLAM.

There is no point in doing the OCLT until the water has cleared up.

Have you ever Deep Cleaned your Sand Filter to make sure it is filtering properly?

Hi Savanna,
the foam and the cloudy water is normal. Its a good sign that algae is being killed off. That's what happens when you have algae and start to slam.

There isnt any timeline for when you'll be able to see the bottom of the pool. A lot depends on how much alage there is to start, how vigilant you are at maintaining FC at SLAM level and how well your filter is working and that you follow all SLAM instructions precisely, and stay with it until it's done.

Dont forget also that you need to brush the pool walls daily. Algae on the walls has the ability to grow a film over the top of it as a defense mechanism. Brushing the walls will help make the process go faster.

And dont forget, you need to keep your pump running 24/7 until the slam is completely finished.
Backwash or clean your DE filter when the pressure rises by 10 psi above clean filter pressure.

I have been backwashing a on regular basis. My sand is also only a year old. I have not tried the deep cleaning process, but, I will if I do not see any progress soon. The 24 test I referred to was actually the overnight loss test. Sorry for the confusion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.