Raypak 406a issue

Mar 12, 2015
Buford, Georgia
Hi all,

I was trying to heat our pool and the heater gave an HL1 code, at first. So I turned it off, gave it a few minutes to cool down, and tried again. This time it threw an HL2 code.

After a bit of research, I checked the "tubes" and they were clear of any scale. I checked the unitherm governor, and it looked a bit old and the gasket was all funked up, so I went ahead and replaced it.

So, after installing the new unitherm gov, I tried the heater again. The water temp shot up from 68 to 82 in about two minutes, in both pool and spa mode.

So I'm guessing water is having trouble getting out of the heater? Does this story give you guys any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

When I see something like this it is because the unit was piped backwards but it sounds like you have had yours installed a while. Do you have any valves installed in the piping to the heater? Sometimes people install a bypass and they forget to open one of the valves.

It's working pretty well at the moment. I would guess it's about 6-7 years old, and recently I had to replace the thermal fuse and clean the exchange to fix flame rollout, but that's the extent of the maintenance I've had to do in the last few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.