Water Coming Through Plaster

Feb 22, 2016
Rockwall, TX
All,

I need a sanity check here. We had our pool plastered yesterday. They are supposed to come acid wash and start filling the pool today. This morning however I found what I think is a big issue. There were several spots in the gunite were some ground water was seeping through. The pool builder assured me that was not unusual and once the plaster was done that would take care of the issue. This morning we awoke to find water seeping through the plaster in those same spots. If water can come through into the pool, it can go through out of the pool in my mind. Am I crazy here? Pictures below.

My thought is once there is water in the pool it would be slightly leaking out of the pool not in it. The pool light probably had water in the conduit that is leaking back into the pool. There usually is a rubber plug in the light fixture around the cord you may want to replace if it has a leak.

Thanks for the heads up on the light. That could be it. The side area is more my concern. If there is water there it is has to be coming into the pool from the side wall. With the pool about 14ft from the house, my concern is that we are looking at potential foundation issues if water is leaking out of the pool and into the the ground below.

Thanks pooldv. Our pool builder is having the supervisor of the plaster company look at the pics and provide some feedback. That was areas where we saw some weeping through the gunite (which is totally normal, since gunite is pourous), but we were concerned to see it through the plaster. Thought that would take care of it.

I don't see how this wouldn't cause a color variation on your plaster. You have sections of plaster with a significantly different water/cement ratio as well as different curing methods.

Has the pool been acid washed yet?

A gunite shell should be watertight, except where penetrations exist. Penetrations will leak and need to be sealed. If there are leaks in other places, there is a structural problem with the shell (like a sand lens or voids due to shadowing). It is not normal and is not okay.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
LOL, do experts ever agree? In this case I think we still agree. The paper says essentially watertight with no measurable flow of water. I think this pool shell meets that definition.

FWIW, I took a look at your build thread and noticed a downspout from the roof that looks like it's directly behind that spot. My thought is no help re: plaster discoloration, and good that you have the issue documented. It crossed my mind that you might have damage to your house perimeter drain that is allowing a build-up of water in that area. It would depend on your soil and a whole lot of other factors, but it might be worth checking it out.

I don't believe that plaster is a waterproof coating either, if I remember correctly the NPC calls it a semi permeable membrane. This is why you can have rebar rust through the surface without any holes or voids. This is also why contractors will apply a waterproofing product prior to plaster in certain applications.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Thanks all. The pool has had water for over a week in it and we are seeing no evidence of an issue. Needsajet, we are addressing the downspout. We are going to put in a underground drain to take the water away from that area. We had noticed that as well. Here are some pics of the pool taken today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.