Need help removing the top of Pentair triton II Filter

johns6

Jul 2, 2014
round top, texas
Hope this is the right place to ask. My pressure gauge on my triton II was leaking last week and I removed the top of the filter ( the large 8 " buttress I think it is called) and removed the gauge assembly dried it off and put JB weld on the threaded crack where gauge screws into plastic housing until my new gauge assembly arrived. The buttress removed easily and I regressed the large o ring before putting it back together. Today I went to install new pressure gauge housing and gauge, but cannot remove the top of filter (buttress). Have relieved pressure etc., but it won't budge. Anyone know of any tricks for removal? It is plastic so can't hit it too hard.

A filter should never be pressured to try to remove a part or disassemble it. Someone could be seriously injured. The filter should have come with a wrench that fits the dome. You can get a new one if you don't have the original.

Buttress is the type of thread (as opposed to the older style "V" thread).

I have the wrench, but I need more. Don't understand turning on pump for ten seconds, that just puts pressure back in system. James, you are correct, I am just trying to unscrew dome closure. It came off very easy last week, now it won't budge. Only thing I can think of is I put it back on too tight.

Try putting short pieces of pipe over the handles of the wrench to get more leverage. Use steady, even pressure and it should come loose. Maybe have someone push one handle while you push the other.

Make sure that you're turning counterclockwise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My daughter has advanced training regarding Orings valves etc.on the oil field.
VERY important that oil based lubricants are NOT used to lube orings for the pool industry. Vaseline is one petroleum base lube that i have to school pool owners about not using regularly. It tends to make the o rings prematurely fail from drying out, swelling, stretching, etc.

This is for the benefit of others. I'm sure that you used the correct (Teflon based) lube for your o-ring(s)...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.