First opening after findin TFP

razor

Sep 25, 2015
Columbus IN
From listening to the pool store last fall when I closed the pool caused some issues this spring. I normally do not open the pool until April but after rolling the auto cover open and seeing how the pool looked I decided to open early. I have a TF-100 test kit that I use. This was my test result when I opened.
FC 0
PH 8.2 or higher
TA 340
CYA 0
CH 450
Fill CH 350

I have been using acid the last 5 days with the pump on 24/7 to lower TA. I aerate to raise PH. I also added enough stabilizer to raise CYA to 30. Adding CL to 3 ppm. This is the test results after 5 days.

FC 1
CC .5
TC 1.5
PH 7.2
TA 230
CYA 30
CH 450

Water is clearing up. Will use my water softener water for fill.

Phil

HI! Good job on the test kit!

So what does your water look like? Share a pic with us so we can watch you clear it!

You FC is not near high enough. Please work on getting and keeping it up.

Once we know how your water looks we can go from there on your next steps.

Kim

Here are a couple pics. Will work on getting the FC up.
c01276dbf08eaee1a1b4bdf7a7de77ca.jpg
781c6d05c34c3cf0b572b430572c0155.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

razor, are you still struggling with the FC? It won't climb at all? Here's why I ask. Since you opened your pool with zero FC and CYA this year, it's possible your CYA converted to ammonia when the FC went to zero. In that case, any new FC gets eliminated extremely fast, and additional CYA gets converted to ammonia as well. If you believe this to be the case, then you'll want to do the following:

Diagnosing:
1. Test CYA level and record result
2. With pump running, dose FC to Shock (SLAM) per level per Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, then retest FC after 10 minutes. If FC level drops by more than 50%, then proceed with treatment for ammonia.

Treatment for Ammonia:
1. Begin a SLAM and dose FC up to SLAM level. If your CYA test is showing as zero (perhaps already converted to ammonia), use a SLAM/Shock FC of 10. Do not add additional CYA at this point.
2. Retest FC at 10-minute intervals.
a. If FC loss is greater than 50%, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level and continue retesting FC @ 10-minute intervals.
b. IF FC loss is 50% or less, add FC to bring back up to SLAM level. Go to Step 3.
3. If CYA is below 30 ppm, add enough CYA to bring level up to 30 ppm.
4. Continue SLAM as directed in the SLAM article until the SLAM Criteria of Done are met. Test as directed in the SLAM article - no longer need to test FC at 10 minute increments at this point.

Let us know if you have any questions. PS ~ Be ready to have LOTS of bleach on-hand to maintain those 10-minute intervals. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that's what I was thinking that I probably have ammonia. I've done the free chlorine test and after 10 minutes I only have 1 ppm FC. I have 32 gallons of chlorine right now and I am going to pick up more and then start the treatment.

I meant to say I had 16 gallons on hand of chlorine. I checked my CYA and it was zero so I did ammonia treatment with free chlorine at 10. It only took 3 gallons before I had half of the free chlorine left at 10 minute intervals. I have CYA acid in a sock now for the CYA to be 30. Now doing regular slam. Thank you very much for your help. I love not having to go to the pool store for advice.

I am still doing slam but may be toward the end. I was having trouble with my CC not coming down and still using FC. So I l took the light out of the nich and couldn't believe what was in there. I cleaned it out with a brush as I done this from the deck as the water is just 50 degrees. Then cleaned everything up from the pool floor. I also rechecked my CYA since it had been a week and it was at 50 ppm so I adjusted my Slam to 20 ppm FC. That was on Sunday 4/3 when I did the light and adjusted the FC. At six o'clock pm today I checked the FC at 20 ppm and the CC at 1.0. No FC loss. It was last checked at noon.

I checked my water this morning after nine hours (12:00 pm to 9:00 am) and the FC dropped 3.5. With CC at 1 ppm. I just checked again after nine more hours and no drop this afternoon in FC ( like yesterday afternoon) with CC still at 1 ppm. Is this sounding normal?

May I suggest that when the water warms that you open those lights up again and scrub so you can see into the niche really well? Also, I soak the light and cord in a bucket of bleach water for a day or so, scrubbing all the crannies with my pool toothbrush periodically.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.