Suggestions for 1 month absence from pool

Apr 12, 2009
I'll be closing on my new house in about a month. The house has a pool that will be open when we close. I just got my TF-100 test kit and plan on using the BBB method to care for my new pool. I'm planning on taking it with me when we close and testing the water. The problem is we'll only be at the new house for 2 days after closing before returning 8 hours to our current home. It'll be 3-4 weeks before we move to the new house for good.

There won't be anyone at the new house to care for the pool during the 3 week absence.

What should I do to the pool (water chemistry, etc -wise) to reduce the chances I'll be returning to a swamp when we get up to the house?

It's really hard to tell you, as we'd just be guessing. In theory, if the water is properly balanced on the closing day, you could shock the pool and then put in a floater with some tabs. But if the water is not balanced, that may not do you any good.

Will you have a way to post the test results on the day of closing, so we can advise you then and there? IF their numbers are way-off we may advise you to just wait and let it go, and do some draining/refilling etc. after you move in, or we may advise you to just shock it and let it go, and then deal with the green swamp after you take over.

The other option is to see if you can find a local pool service that would grant you a one month service contract.

Too many variables here, sorry, wish I could give you better advice. :wink:

Does the current owner use a pool service? If so, the pool service will often extend an offer to you to "provide a month of free service because you are so busy moving" sort of thing. If they do this, take the month and let them handle it. Then take over on your own once you move in. If that's not an option, then do what poolmom says and see if you can find a pool service that will handle it on a month-to-month basis. Better yet, talk to your realtor about it. Realtors have HUGE rolodexes full of contacts for things like this. I doubt that this is the first time your realtor has run into this very situation with a client.

257WbyMag said:
Does the current owner use a pool service? If so, the pool service will often extend an offer to you to "provide a month of free service because you are so busy moving" sort of thing.

When we moved to Fort Worth the previous pool service offered this several times to us. They even let us use an auto water fill device. I would look into it.

frustratedpoolmom said:
It's really hard to tell you, as we'd just be guessing. In theory, if the water is properly balanced on the closing day, you could shock the pool and then put in a floater with some tabs. But if the water is not balanced, that may not do you any good.

I'd suggest taking Mom's advice one step further by placing a mesh cover over the pool so that the skimmer doesn't fill with debris, that's assuming the pump and filter will be operating during your absence.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.