Mar 8, 2016
York,Pa
The vinyl liner of my pool has developed a coating of material that appears brown against the light blue liner. This
material brushes off easily, appearing as a cloud of dust particles or small white flakes. The material does not adhear
to the acrylic swim current benches. The buildup covers the entire vertical surface of the liner down to the swim current benches,
of course below that I can't see. On the pool bottom, the liner also has buildup adjacent to the swim current benches
where I would not normally walk and an accumulation where a tension strap creates a ridge in the liner probably when
the particles settle after falling to the bottom.

I 'am using a UV sanitizer and Nature 2 beads. Taylor K-1005 kit.

Last edited:
Yes, that sounds like dead algae to me. Maybe you aren't maintaining FC high enough? Or need to bump it up a little above target level for your CYA. Chlorine CYA Chart How are you chlorinating?
How warm do you keep it?
Is it covered?
If it is treated more like a spa it might be better to dose after each use.
Maybe have a look at this, How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?

If you want to verify that organic material is present you can Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If yes, then is time to SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

After we get rid of the algae it would probably be good to perform a chlorine usage analysis and keep a log for a week or so where you swim, add FC and test every 2-4 hours to see what the chlorine level does. The goal is to make sure that FC never drops below the minimum level for your CYA, Chlorine CYA Chart

I brushed the liner and shocked the pool. The algae no longer accumulates on the liner, however the particles/flakes apparently have disintegrated to a point where the water is cloudy. My question now is how cloudy is to cloudy? Can I expect any treatment to make the water crystal clear?

I would definitely perform a thorough "SLAM" as outlined in the link below. A short shock will not eliminate algae in its entirety. Cloudiness is still indicative of algae still present in the water. If you don't SLAM it completely (pass all 3 SLAM criteria), it will be a vicious cycle back & forth. TFP owners should all have crystal clear water.

The pool has become clear as I continue to add bleach to get to between .5 and 1 ppm. Also, I have just done the yearly replacement of my UV sanitizer bulb which could also have contributed to the clearing. Thanks to everyone for your input.

We're happy to help. As an indoor pool owner, your adjustments are a bit different than the typical outdoor pool, but remember ... for TFP purposes, the SLAM isn't complete unless you pass all 3 SLAM criteria (clear water; CC <.5, and pass the OCLT). Glad to hear the water has improved.

I thought I had successfully eliminated the cloudiness in my pool however the accretion on the liner reappeared and a brushing of the liner increased the cloudiness.

DSCN3874.jpgDSCN3865.jpg

I brought up the CL to over 5 ppm for the last two days using Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione Dihydrate. When I remove the filter, a cloud of particles is brought up with it. Before I begin the testing with my recently arrived TF-100 and starting a SLAM, would you recommend using a clarifier? Based on what I've read it should help.

What is your CYA level? That dichlor adds almost as much CYA as it does chlorine. I use plain bleach to raise FC in my hot tub and pool. I have never used clarifier and can't comment on that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is your CYA level? That dichlor adds almost as much CYA as it does chlorine. I use plain bleach to raise FC in my hot tub and pool. I have never used clarifier and can't comment on that.
My first time determining CYA resulted in a reading of 40. When I tried to do the FAS/DPD chlorine test, I added 30 drops of the R-0871 to the sample before the sample turned clear, however within less than a minute the sample turned back to a pink shade. Adding 2 more drops, cleared the sample but the pink color returned within a minute. I did this 3 times and failed to maintain a clear sample. I realize the first 30 drops indicates 15 ppm however this resulted from adding 13 ozs of the dichlor over a 4 day period in an attempt to clear the cloudiness. Should the sample maintain clarity after adding sufficient drops of R-0871?

"Was your sample 10ml?" - Yes

"The first time the sample goes clear the test is complete." To continue to use the sample for the CC test, the instructions say to add 5 drops of R-0003 to the now clear solution and swirl, but the sample had turned back to pink. Can a valid CC test be made using a sample that is not clear before adding the R-0003?

At what chlorine ppm level is it safe to enter the pool?

"What is your CYA level?" What does the 40 reading mean for removing the cloudiness from my pool?

Between 6/3 and 6/6, I added a total of 13 ozs of Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione Dihydrate. On 6/9 the FAS-DPD FC was 15ppm and the CYA 40. Today I used the pool for the first time since 6/3. Today's test results; FAS-DPD FC 6ppm. CC .5, ph 7.5, CYA 40. The pool is clearer, compare with above pictures.... Should I try SLAM for crystal clear? Should I lower the CYA to 30?
DSCN3875.jpgDSCN3877.jpg
Should I try SLAM for crystal clear? Should I lower the CYA to 30?

6/17, 6am FC 10ppm, added 1 cup of bleach after test
6/18, 6am FC 11.5ppm, added 1 cup of bleach after test
6/18-6/19 OCLT 16ppm - 12ppm = 4ppm, ph 7.2-7.5, added 2 cups of bleach after test
6/19 10am FC 18.5ppm, 4pm 16.5ppm, 9pm 17.0ppm
6/20 5:30am FC 16.0ppm, 8pm FC 15.5ppm
6/21 6am FC 14.5, 1:30pm 15 minute swim, no change in cloudiness, appears as picture immediately above

It appears that not using the pool for a couple of days causes the larger particles to sink to the bottom and the pool light (9 inches below the water surface) displays fine particles like a light through fog. After using the pool with the swim current on stirs up the larger particles which can be seen in the light beam, appearing like dust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.