My fiance and I just bought this house about 2 months ago. It came with a pool. Neither of us has any experience with pools other than swimming in them sometimes! Since it was a foreclosed property, we don't have the luxury of asking the previous owner about the pool. When we first looked at the house, the pool was all green with algae, but sometime between then and when we took over, it had been cleaned up nicely and the pump was on.
I let the pump run 24 hours/day until I got my first electric bill, and now I'm running it for a few hours/day and will put a time on it.
My Taylor K2006 just showed up and I tested the water as best I could (the CYA test seemed a little confusing and arbitrary to me) and here are the numbers...
CYA 0 (?)
The water's still nice and clear and smells fine. I vacuumed and scooped up a lot of leaves and worms but there is still a lot of pollen on the bottom. I think one of those pool robots is in my future!
Oh, it's an in ground pool, generally rectangular and I think it's fiberglass, although I don't know what a vinyl pool looks like. It's about 3.5 feet at the shallow end and 8 feet at the deep end. The pump is 1/2 hp at 208V. It has a sand filter that I just learned how to backflush and a Hayward H250 natural gas that I checked and that works, but I'm afraid of the gas bill from that one!
One more thing, last week I put one 182oz jug of 6% chlorine bleach (plain Target brand) in the pool as I was afraid that after two months of doing nothing I would get an algae bloom or something equally nasty.
I've read the BBB stuff a couple of times and I think I can handle it. Just thought I'd chime in and say hello!