My experience with cartridge filters

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Hoping to post my lesson so others won't make my same mistake.. I am in Atlanta and have a lot of tree cover ( not my tree's or I would change that ) and get a ton of stuff year round. I wanted to replace my old sand filter and researched and bought the Hayward c17502..Single large filter that on paper was more then big enough for my 20K pool..After 5 years of having to clean it every week or 2 and having to buy new filters ( amazon is great) I decided to upgrade to the 4 filter c4030 )..So far we are getting hammered with hardwood junk and yellow pollen and the pressure hasn't changed :) I did open it and clean yesterday just to see and the filters were yellow.
My lesson is pick a filter that fits your area, the 17502 would have been great for a larger pool with no tree's..I hated to trash it and start over but after spending $130 a year on 2 filters I am hoping the return pays off!

Also shop around, I bought mine from a pool store on ebay and saved at least $350 vs the local pool store and got it in 2 days.

Another helpful hint is this: Put a nylon stocking over the skimmer basket. It will catch the stuff before it even gets into the filter. Check it every once in a while and change/clean it when it gets clogged up.

Also I also bought a multicyclone which said it would catch the bigger stuff before it hit the filter..Mine did catch a little dirt but it looked like to be the " tree" stuff wasn't heavy and went right through it..I wasted a lot of money of that experiment :(

Thanks for posting that feedback. You definitely can't go wrong with a bigger filter. We also have lots-o-trees and a big 4 cartridge filter. I switched to Pleatco cartridges and they are even better. Cheaper, clog less, easier to clean, better flow, last longer. All kinds of better.

Thanks for posting that feedback. You definitely can't go wrong with a bigger filter. We also have lots-o-trees and a big 4 cartridge filter. I switched to Pleatco cartridges and they are even better. Cheaper, clog less, easier to clean, better flow, last longer. All kinds of better.
I used that brand in my other filter and your right..Better then the $100 hayward

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.