Buy & Sell forum?

Jun 13, 2013
Just curious...is Buy & Sell content not allowed? I don't see a forum for it, and I don't see anything that specifically mentions it either for that matter.

I'm looking for a control board for my heater - something small that's easily shipped, and possible that someone who's scrapping an old heater may very well have that they'd be willing to sell...but I don't see anywhere obvious to post such a request.

I think this would be an excellent thing to do.. There are so many people that could offer up things to buy or sell.. It can be a pain to moderate but I think we could come up with some guidelines :)

We had one but it was rarely used. Very difficult to moderate as well. We have traditionally allowed members to sell things in The Coffee Bar on a very limited basis.

Not sure I understand the moderation issue? Set up some rules making it clear that TFP is totally absolved or all responsibility, your own risk, etc etc etc and let it run its course?

I know that if TFP staff tried to handle disputes and such that it could become a PITA, But just absolve yourselves of everything and make it buyer beware?

On a forum that I used to administrate we handled the buy and sell groups with a special set of rules that required members to have at least 50 posts *and* several months of membership before they were able to post or respond in said forums. With that sort of set up, members had some basic history at the forum (to let others get a feel for them) before they were able to participate in the marketplace areas, and also solved the issue of people just signing up to sell stuff with no intention of contributing anything else. Members that did not meet the qualifications requirements were still able to view and read the forums but had to resort to PMs if they were interested in buying something, and then it was up to the seller to decide if they wanted to deal with a relatively new or reputationally challenged member. ;) They were not allowed to sell anything at all until they met the requirements however.

Part of the issue when this has came up in the past is the nature of pool equipment, it is often either bulky and not conducive to shipping and/or often exposed to the elements so has limited appeal to any buyer. This is likely why it was rarely used, and the occasional selling of items is traditionally allowed in the Coffee Bar section, there has also been a major effort to keep this place free of commercialization, that is why there are no advertisements on this site, and there are special rules for "in the industry members". Having a for sale section could blur that line between people trading in various items they no longer need, and selling commercially, likely with gateway items, like home built gadgets, or decorations.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.