SWG/Shock

May 6, 2008
I'm just filling my pool ready for our effort at a summer:D, I'm running a salt water generator, once the pool is filled, the instructions are telling me to put in two bags of salt, do I need to shock the pool with chlorine as well please.

It may take a day or so for the salt to fully dissolve to where your SWG can begin to product the free chlorine (FC) your pool needs. On top of that, your new water needs stabilizer/conditioner (CYA) to protect that FC from the sun. I wouldn't say "shock" as in extremely high amounts you may be thinking of. But yes, you will need some regular liquid bleach (about 2-4 ppm) just to keep that new water from turning green until your SWG is producing FC on its own and you get it adjusted. I would recommend you read the following which I'm sure will help:
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Again, you'll need to measure and add stabilizer quickly so it can start dissolving. I would suggest the "sock method" of soaking the stabilizer granules, and shoot for a target/goal of 70 ppm for your SWG pool. If you have any questions after reading those links, please let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.